Thread: Belkin Router hardtime, alot of problems!

Belkin Router hardtime, alot of problems!

Hello u guys ^^, hows the holidays? only wish the best for everyone! well, instead of being "confee" watching these horrible christmas shows i decided to finaly buy a wireless kit to build a home network without cables and "2 much hassle", so i thought..

i bought a Belkin Wireless G Router 2.4Ghz - 802.11g and two wireless Conceptronic PCI cards, both the router and the cards at 54Mbps (since i live in a small apartment).

I only have two pc´s.

yesterday night i managed to get it all to work, but since today the connection was getting disconected both on the host and the other machine, wich is boring cause i wasnt hoping for any of these troubles after i install them.

anyway u guys, i started to read the manuals (yes, i did read them and searched on the web for info, but since im not network expert i finaly had to give up and ask for help from the pro´s), and i found the address to config the router with the browser, and i was messing around (not much though) and i enabled the option "router as access point" or something similar, after that..hell brake lose, nothing worked anymore..at all! so wich i did was, reset the router factory settings, like the manual said, clicked on the back reset button for 10 seconds.

the thing is, now the internet light is always blinking, when i type the address on the browser nothing appears, when i try the easy install with the cd the cd says it cant make a connection with the router.

i tried all other options, turn of the cable modem for 5 minutes, turn of the router, turn of the pc.

turn on the modem, the router then the pc, i checked the cables everything seams fine :S

i dont know what else to do, since i reseted the router for the factory settings everything is messed up.

Im sorry if this was alot of text, but i whanted to give out the most information i can remember, if more info is necessary please say so.

thanks guys for the patience and for reading this request for help.

EDITED by me

the cable modem is a Thompson and is USB connected, so i installed the router this way:

- ethernet cable connected to the modem, then to the green ethernet jack on the router and i installed one of the wireless conceptronic 54Mbps on the host machine (this one)

cheers to u all
    Last edited by The_Crow18; December 26th, 2006 at 11:21 PM.

AOs Resident Troll
    Reseting the router..you now have to reconfigure with your ISP\wireless settings....
    on the router

BTW..... do you have a 2.4 ghz wireless phone??...anyone else in the building have one...or a wireless connection?? Right beside a radio tower??

I dont understand your connection

so

cable\phone line to modem>ethernet cable from modem to WAN jack on router>LAN ethernet cable\wireless connection from router to computers

Some routers you have to connect physically first to configure for wireless...

MLF
    Last edited by morganlefay; December 27th, 2006 at 05:57 AM.
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by The_Crow18
    i bought a Belkin Wireless G Router 2.4Ghz - 802.11g and two wireless Conceptronic PCI cards, both the router and the cards at 54Mbps (since i live in a small apartment).
    First mistake any thing that has the words belkin and networking is a BAD idea. While this is just a personal preference i have NEVER had a good time playing with belkin networking hardware.
    yesterday night i managed to get it all to work, but since today the connection was getting disconnected both on the host and the other machine, wich is boring cause i wasnt hoping for any of these troubles after i install them.
    You said your in an apartment. download Netstumbler and use it to do a quick site survey. If you are too close to other wifi networks signal wise you can get dropped connections. There should be 5 channels inbetween yours and whats around you.. IE if you see APs with channel 1 and 6 then you pick 11 or as some one else suggest could be cordless phone. NEVER put the base station near your wifi router. Your issue could also stem from the fact that belkin sucks "opinion of the writer". However your learning and i wont blame you.
    anyway u guys, i started to read the manuals (yes, i did read them and searched on the web for info, but since im not network expert i finaly had to give up and ask for help from the pro´s), and i found the address to config the router with the browser, and i was messing around (not much though) and i enabled the option "router as access point" or something similar, after that..hell brake lose, nothing worked anymore..at all! so wich i did was, reset the router factory settings, like the manual said, clicked on the back reset button for 10 seconds.
    When you selected to run the router as an access point you disabled dhcp hence why every thing crashed. The router was no longer acting as your default gateway and your computer lost its Ip addresss. Your network is set up on the idea of NAT or network address translation. you have an external IP
    typicaly class B or A somthing like 67.84.123.456 and you only get one... your router then takes that address for its self and you get an internal address. 192.168.2.2 or 192.168.2.3 or so and and so on. With out dhcp to hand out the address your network falls apart.

the thing is, now the internet light is always blinking, when i type the address on the browser nothing appears, when i try the easy install with the cd the cd says it cant make a connection with the router.
    Sounds like router is still not doing DHCP try holding down the reset button longer with it plugged into clear the nvram
    i tried all other options, turn of the cable modem for 5 minutes, turn of the router, turn of the pc.
    i dont think this will make much of a differance. Try doing this after you can set up the cable modem again...
    turn on the modem, the router then the pc, i checked the cables everything seams fine :S
    cheers to u all
    It should be hooked up as follows. Cat5 from modem to uplink port on router... then for set up hook a cat 5 into any of the remaining 4 ports and login to the router. Make sure to change the SSID set up encryption WPA is a must TKIP if your bored but AES is better and no harder to set up then CHANGE THE DEFAULT ROUTER PASSWORD! hope this helps.
    ...."Cant stop the signal Mel, Every thing goes some where and i go every where."...... "From here to the eyes and the ears of the verse, thats my motto or might be if i start having a motto" - Mr. Universe "Serenity"

First mistake any thing that has the words belkin and networking is a BAD idea. While this is just a personal preference i have NEVER had a good time playing with belkin networking hardware.
    Here here! Belkin might as well be spelled C-R-A-P.

My personal favorites are Cisco, Linksys (also Cisco) and Buffalo Tech. For home use, go with the Linksys WRT54G or The Bufallo Tech WHR-HP-G54. I would choose the WHR-HP-G54 over the WRT54G simply because there are far too many variants of the WRT54G using different hardware/firmware and you are now more limited with regards to "hacking" them. See DD-WRT. I would also avoid D-Link. I've had horrible experiences with them too.

Other than that, all great advice from TheX1le. I don't need to add anymore at this time.
    Last edited by phishphreek; December 27th, 2006 at 03:24 PM.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

First of, i wanna thank u all for the awnsers, some of them really helped me out understand a few things (one major being, never buy Belkin material again...i dont wanna make some bad pub but..the truth is im almost full with this router!) anyway, i managed to get it working almost the same way it was the first time, exept for these problems:

1) - The network is detected, on both pc´s, and on the host machine the network works fine and when i choose to share the internet connection it gives-me internet connection with the wireless network enabled, BUT..i cant access the modem configuration page :S - without internet sharing i can..i dont understand, ah, and the internet light is always blinking..

2) - Despite the fact that on the host machine i can get internet via the wireless network, i cant get it on the other pc..though i can connect to the network (at a decent signal 48/54Mbps)

3) - If these are DHCP related issues, i really dont know what to else to do since i cant access the router config page with internet sharing enabled and when i reset to the factory default settings (click on the reset button for like..15/20 seconds with the router on, the internet light still is blinking..) all the other lights are normal, modem, power..

here are some screenshots on the config menu of the router, with internet sharing disabled since its the only way i can access it..

http://antionline.com/attachment.php...1&d=1167279076

i really dont wanna have to buy another router right now :S even if this one is crappy.. and besides, we are always learning, kinda fits for my networking education.

and once again, thank u all for the patience and time consuption helping me out ^^

cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images

First of, i wanna thank u all for the awnsers
    Glad i could help, my main desktop died last night so your problem took my mind off the loss.

1) - The network is detected, on both pc´s, and on the host machine the network works fine and when i choose to share the internet connection it gives-me internet connection with the wireless network enabled, BUT..i cant access the modem configuration page :S - without internet sharing i can..i dont understand, ah, and the internet light is always blinking..
    This sounds like your not hooking somthing up right you should never need Internet sharing... {this is the windows settign your talking about right and not a router setting?} The router handles this via NAT.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheX1le :yes im quoting my self as im to lazy to type
    It should be hooked up as follows. Cat5 from modem to uplink port on router... then for set up hook a cat 5 into any of the remaining 4 ports and login to the router.
    Then each wifi card should be conneted to the router i hope im safe to assume that both machines have Sp2? This should make set up there a breeze. When configured this way every thing should work fine with no connection sharing as your computers dont talk to each other they each talk to the router. Well in your case the Belkin device "curse its name" is both a router and a switch. But more on that later. The switch faciltates all traffic switching on the local subnet thats the 192.168.2.0/24 and the router joins your network and the rest of the world.
    [QUTOE]
    2) - Despite the fact that on the host machine i can get internet via the wireless network, i cant get it on the other pc..though i can connect to the network (at a decent signal 48/54Mbps)
    im a bit confused... when you say host machine? there shouldnt really be one. Whit a router you connect it to the modem via cat5 and you no longer need the USB cord to your desktop. The router handles every thing. The router is now the gateway to your network. It sounds like your still trying to use your main desktop to do this. hence why its working.
    3) - If these are DHCP related issues, i really dont know what to else to do since i cant access the router config page with internet sharing enabled and when i reset to the factory default settings (click on the reset button for like..15/20 seconds with the router on, the internet light still is blinking..) all the other lights are normal, modem, power..
    See above i dont think this is dhcp either.

here are some screenshots on the config menu of the router, with internet sharing disabled since its the only way i can access it..

i really dont wanna have to buy another router right now :S even if this one is crappy.. and besides, we are always learning, kinda fits for my networking education.

and once again, thank u all for the patience and time consuption helping me out ^^

cheers!
    Here is how every thing should be set up Cable from ISP ====> Cable Modem ====> Cat5 to UPLINK! port of router =====> Router to computers via 802.11G wifi. Oh and make sure you change your SSID thats the thing that says Belkin54g. no one faults you we all make mistakes just dont broadcast it... Change it to say.... WRT54G or my personal Favorite SSTPR1 (any war driver will typicaly move on as this is the SSID for UPS trucks Adhoc System) You should no longer need the desktop computer to share your internet connection settings. Hope this helps
    ...."Cant stop the signal Mel, Every thing goes some where and i go every where."...... "From here to the eyes and the ears of the verse, thats my motto or might be if i start having a motto" - Mr. Universe "Serenity"

TheX1le i have to say, thank you very much sir ^^, u really helped me alot! though i had to buy a new cat5 cable since my cable modem was connected via USB (i dont think its my impression but the net speed is a bit better now) anyway, i connected the cables correctly and at the start it didnt whanted to work so i though..damm not again until i though about "what if the modem is the cause of the problem now" so i removed all the modem cables, waited 1m connected them and suprisingly everything worked fine, now just like u said the router is doing all the work.

Well, i learned a few things on the way and the next router wont start with a capital B.

Also i whanted to ask you one thing, the other pc is not too far away from this room, but on the other machine it wont get the lammy 54Mbps, insted sometimes is 24/36 and on a good mood 48Mbps..so, my question is..what is the best way to input a better signal?

like, some hardware so i cant place it between the two rooms so it wont loose signal.

Oh, and im sorry to hear that ur desktop broke :\ i know that feeling, last summer my laptop whent off for good.

Once again, thank you not only u helped me, but i also learned with these mistakes.

Cheers ^^

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    You can check (cringe) the Belkin site for some new signal boosting antennas and throw those on your router. They run about 20-30 bucks for the Linksys routers so I would imagine they will be around the same for Belkin crap.

--Th13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

BANNED
    I doubt your internet service is 54mbps so I don't see any use in worrying about it. BUt maybe I'm wrong. Also, when you say you turned off your modem and your router did you hit a button on them. I find the best way to turn off the modem and router is to unplug them for 30+ seconds.
    If for some reason you lose connection on both computers all of a sudden you may need to unplug modem and router for 30 seconds and let them reset. THen right click on your wireless icon and choose repair.

And here is a tutorial on securing wireless networks you don't want any body snooping around in all that info floating around in the air.
    http://antionline.com/showthread.php...reless+network
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

TheX1le i have to say, thank you very much sir ^^, ....

Well, i learned a few things on the way and the next router wont start with a capital B.
    no problem mate glad i could help and learning is good, knowage is power.

As for your other question of speeds. Most cable and dsl lines come into a house at 3mbit/sec a standard 802.11B network operates at 11mbit/sec you have 802.11G that operates at 54mbit/sec. So unless you plan on setting up file an pritner sharing... not a bad idea.... and your going to move large files over the network then i wouldnt worry about speed. Think of your connection like a pipe... 3mbit being 3in if you connect that to a 54in pipe its not gonna make the water in the 3in pipe flow any faster.... Now that you have your network set up i challenge you to set up file and printer sharing... printer sharing is great because you can hit print and it prints to the computer with the printer hooked to it. Rather nice. File Sharing is self explanitory. Good luck if you run into issues you know where to look. :GOOGLE: oh and ill give you a hint if you have issues with not being able to connect check your firewall settings on each computer NOT the router...