Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! wireless problems

Unhappy HELP! wireless problems

Hello,
    Its been a while sence i have been to AO but i have been having some computer issues that i cant figure out on my own... I dont know if this fits under security but i hope you can help.

The issue is that whenever i connect to a wireless network (no matter the place) my computer nearly instantly bogs down to the point i can hardly move the mouse and it says the CPU is running at near 100% with nothing showing as the power hungry problem. As soon as i turn off the wireless or disconnnect it goes back to normal no problems.

Any suggestions... please Im on a hard-line without that problem so i am baffled but in need of repairing.

Help...

Though I don't know much about the topic at hand here, I'm sure you'd be likely to get more help if you told us more about your system e.g. what wireless card are you using et cetera?
    \"Some say they go looking for Drugs, Dirty Dancing and Pounding, Pounding Techno Music.\"
    *ahem* contact me

ok.. unfortunitly i cant give you to many details i have an HP Pavilion dv8110us. It has a built in basic 54g™ 802.11b/g WLAN with 125HSM. I have never had a problem before with it before. If anyone has any idea of anything to even try id be happy to hear it.

Have you updated the drivers recently?

I assume that you are running Windows XP?.................you might try a repair install?

EDIT: What happens if you try to boot into safe mode with network support?
    Last edited by nihil; December 29th, 2006 at 12:01 AM.

I have at first i hadnt installed any new drivers before i started having the problem but sence i have tried repairing the connection and installing new drivers/ updating.
    I have not tried in safe mode yet but i will try that in a second.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Certainly sounds like a bogus driver/app to me. What you can do is run a process explorer to see which process(es) are spiking the CPU. This will give you a place to start looking for the problem. Have you tried throwing in a PC card and disabling your interal wireless nic? Again, this will narrow down the issue though I'm pretty sure you're going to find the issue with the HP drivers and/or their wireless manager application.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by thehorse13
    Certainly sounds like a bogus driver/app to me. What you can do is run a process explorer to see which process(es) are spiking the CPU.
    Yea ive tried that and thats what first started really confusing me. There shows nothing out of the system will show the idle process running at over 90% the same time the CPU is running at 100% so something isnt showing.

Have you tried throwing in a PC card and disabling your interal wireless nic? Again, this will narrow down the issue though I'm pretty sure you're going to find the issue with the HP drivers and/or their wireless manager application.
    yea i am going to grab an external one from a friend but i dont have one i can use right away but thats the next step im planning. As far as the drivers, ive tried 3 different drivers and rolling back to the origional hasnt done the trick.

I also have tried to start in safe mode and found no difference in the way it acted..

Thanks for your helps so far guys
    Last edited by swizeguy; December 29th, 2006 at 03:01 PM.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    What about the wireless card manager tool? Have you updated that?

Process explorer lets you drill down within generic process names. Try that tool out.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Well, if anyone is interested in the stock specs on this system:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...dlc=en&lang=en

These appear to be the stock NICs-
    -Integrated 10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)
    -54g™ 802.11b/g WLAN with 125HSM / SpeedBooster support

swizeguy,
    I looked all over HP's site and found nothing relating to this issue. I'm curious about the router settings that your wireless card is trying to connect to. Do you know how your router is setup?
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

I tried the ProcessExplorer. As soon as I turned on the wireless it said that hardware interupts was the cause of the CPU spiking. Wouldnt give me any more information than that.

As far as the router.
    The router i am using right now is running on all default settings. Its a Linksys 2.4 ghz broadband wireless router with a basic WPA key for some security. I dont think there is any problem with the router because all other computers when running on it do not have the same problem. Plus i have had the problem in other places other than just at my house.

Thanks for posting the specs too i should have done that.
    Last edited by swizeguy; December 29th, 2006 at 05:40 PM.