December 29th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Last edited by nihil; December 29th, 2006 at 07:31 PM.
December 30th, 2006, 12:02 AM
I spent a while speaking with the HP help people. They came to the determination that my wireless card itself had something wrong with it. I am planning on trying one that a friend has to double check. My warrentee is good until the 5th on jan. They set up something for me to send in my notebook but I need it for my schooling/etc.
My new question, is it really worth going through all the trouble to send it out especially if i can just get an external card?
Thanks again for all of your help!
December 30th, 2006, 12:16 AM
Well, I would say "yes" given that you have already paid for it and it is under warranty.
Now, if the "new" card has the same problems, that would suggest that it is not hardware, particularly if an external card (with a different driver) might work.
The case where DMA mode has reverted to PIO mode is a known problem. It is difficult to troubleshoot as you just get the general "hardware interrupt" warning, rather than something specific.
December 30th, 2006, 01:17 PM
What is the process? send them your entire notebook and then wait 3 weeks for a turn around? I haven't dealt with HP repair since the Compaq buyout if that tells you anything.
Anyway, if they think it's the wireless card, I'm assuming you can remove the cover on the bottom of the lappy and remove the wireless card and send that in for a replacement. Seems cheaper and more reasonable for the user.
Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden
December 30th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Hmmm, I see...................
It seems to me that HP are "fishing", in that they really don't know what the exact problem is. I have some sympathy for them, as I know it is not easy trying to give remote support, particularly from thousands of miles away, as in my case
I would imagine that they want the machine "on the bench" where they have the people and the kit to do a thorough investigation. I am sure that they will fix whatever they find.................... just sending a replacement component won't be anything like as thorough...........there could be a variety of "nasties" just waiting to happen?
If the device is going to be away for a while, I would first look at borrowing a replacement, if at all possible.
December 30th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Yea whats scaring me is the fact that the thing is only under warentee for less than a week more by the time they ship me the crate to send it back it not going to even be under warrentee. Im a little paranoid where as my friend sent his HP laptop in a few months ago they sent it back with a cracked LCD saying that it was his fault.
Im going to be able to try the external tomorrow. I think ive decided against sending it away (just to paranoid). If he external doesnt work than im going to have to but if it does ill just use that.
December 30th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Well, I suppose it depends on where you live?
Our consumer laws say that if you have reported the defect within the warranty period then you are covered. You obviously have a RTB instruction from them as well?
I would save my data and send it back............... but that is just me