Thread: packet capture without monitor mode?

packet capture without monitor mode?

Since my wireless card is so damn irritating, I have to use ndiswrapper. And this means I can't use monitor mode on my laptop :'( programs such as airodump are therefore useless and subsequently I can't use aircrack (I'm trying to find out how easy/hard it'd be to get into my families network).
    Is there some other way I can get what aircrack (or similar) needs while monitor mode is unavailable?
    \"Some say they go looking for Drugs, Dirty Dancing and Pounding, Pounding Techno Music.\"
    *ahem* contact me

No, I had this problem with an integrated card on a toshiba.

You'll have to use a card that supports it. I picked up a Netgear WG511T card . It was very easy to install. Just download/compile/install the madwifi package and you're good to go.

After doing that, airreplay, aircrack, etc. worked fine.

It is pretty cheap considering the hours of fun it provides. I picked mine up for around $45 at a local computer show.

BTW: Not sure if it matters, I'm running SuSE 10.1

Note: If you do decide to get this card... make sure it is the WG511T. It uses the atheros chipset. The WG511 v1 uses the Prism54 chipset and is more of a pain to use/install because of the firmware. As far as I know, The WG511 v2 uses a Marvell chipset which you have to install with ndiswrapper.
    Last edited by phishphreek; December 29th, 2006 at 07:26 PM.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Ah well, I guess another card or something might wind up on my wish list then.
    Thanks anyway
    \"Some say they go looking for Drugs, Dirty Dancing and Pounding, Pounding Techno Music.\"
    *ahem* contact me

While a little bit more expensive the WAG511 is an awsome card i know for a fact you can crack wep with it.. i did it on my test network. its an ABG card that works on cisco leap. Great card if you connect to alot of differnt networks
    ...."Cant stop the signal Mel, Every thing goes some where and i go every where."...... "From here to the eyes and the ears of the verse, thats my motto or might be if i start having a motto" - Mr. Universe "Serenity"

Just Another Geek
    I can recommend the Linksys WPC55AG. It's a dualband card that uses the Atheros chipset, most wifi tools are able to use it. The only minus is that you cannot attach an external antenna.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.