Thread: Digital Security Subdisciplines?

Digital Security Subdisciplines?

I'm an infosec student/newbie, and I read that it would be wise to choose a specialty to study on the side, as I complete my degree. Can someone please provide me with a list of the various subdisciplines within Digital Security? Which of those do you find most interesting? Why? Links to relevant resources would also be greatly appreciated . Many thanks.

UB

Well,

My advice is to get some finance accountancy in there. After all, it is securing private and corporate assets?

Bit of law wouldn't go amiss either?

Cannot really point you at much until we know where you live............... the rules are different

nihil, I live in Northern California. I have an introductory accounting course coming up but nothing all that advanced. Will this suffice? When you say law, are you referring to compliance and ethics issues? Some of the possible subdisciplines I've recently discovered include network forensics, wireless security, and intrusion detection. What else is out there?

OK UB, that seems a good enough place to start.

Your first Accountancy/Finance course will be pretty basic. You need to understand the basic mechanisms so that you can at least talk to the Finance guys? Double entry bookkeeping, balance sheets, profit and loss accounts. And most importantly, budgets

Maybe some auditing after that, as the principles are the same as IT audits.

On the law front we have regulatory compliance and basic commercial law........ like contracts and stuff. Then I would possibly look at criminal law on the corporate/institutional side and fraud/cybercrime, of course (hey! we might both get a job at the next Enron). Other areas might include forensics..............but mostly I have used that for data recovery (apart from a few CP scumbags).

A lot of it should be quite easy because you are just looking at general principles.

I hope that this is helping in some way?..............keep asking the questions, and I am sure that some of my American friends will be able to give you more details and point you to references. I am afraid that I can only point in the general direction or mention very specific things that I have dealt with.

Good info. Thanks. I do also get a Project Management course, which may cover budget matters in-depth. Where'd you learn about data recovery and forensics? At the moment computer and network forensics are my two favorite security topics...but I'm still just cracking the surface of this stuff.