I'm sure a lot of people will have read this story mentioned in Slashdot, and watched the video of the hack by "Muslix64". Coming so soon on the heels of the demonoid thread posting a Vista time bomb fix, I just wonder if Microsoft and the other very high profile companies associated with both of these "security" measures have lost the plot.

While it's true that most things will be cracked given time, this so called unbreakable AACS has taken just 8 days while Vista now has a so called solution to problem of the time trial expiring within a month of the Corporate version being released, and before the home version is even out on the market!

Regarding HD DVD, I wonder if this is good or bad news for Sony? Blu Ray has two layers of protection so software vendors may prefer it as a standard, while home users will now probably all want HD DVD! No doubt someone wil circumvent Blu Ray protection soon anyway.

At the moment it's fairly theoretical anyway. I accept the guy has a point about fair usage, but anyone who can pay the ridiculous prices for Blu Ray or HD DVD drives (in fact are there any HD DVD drives out yet even?) can certainly afford to buy two copies of a movie! Personally I don't see the point in getting either until there's a drive supporting both formats.