Thread: IDS V4.1 , access through console port problem issue

Hybrid View

IDS V4.1 , access through console port problem issue

I was able to access Cisco IDS v4.1 at work (production device) through WebUI, and Telnet , but I was not able to access through console cable.

Recently I have modified the interfaces int0, int1 only, then I could not access through WebUI nor Telnet.

When I tried through Telnet I received this error :
    Error: Cannot communicate with system processes. Please contact your system administrator.
    When I tried through the web browser (https://ip address) it stuck with the below message:
    Login successful
    Please wait while IDM loads.........
    The last resort to access it , is through the console port, I tired that but I do not why I can not access it,,,I am using SecureCRT 5.2 (Terminal Emulator), I have tried varies speed options 9600, 19200, 38400, 57600, etc

any clue about this issue.
    Last edited by zillah; January 3rd, 2007 at 06:43 AM.

Are you using the cable that cisco supplied? You need a DB-9-to-DB-9 null-modem cable. The pin layout and the settings you need are in the following link.
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...80094033.shtml
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Are you using the cable that cisco supplied? .
    I am not sure (because I could not find the kit that originally came with IDS 4152) if I am using the right cable or not, because I have used a blue sky cable (RJ45 and DB9) that comes with a cisco router. The IDS that I have got is 4125, and as you can see below what cisco has mentioned about it :
    The 4215 Sensor has an RJ45 console port connector. Use the RJ45 console cable along with the DB-9 or DB-25 adaptor contained in the accessory kit to establish a console connection.
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...80094033.shtml

You need a DB-9-to-DB-9 null-modem cable. The pin layout and the settings you need are in the following link.
    This is not my case.

I hope I am doing the right thing

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    The cable is typically light blue and flat like a piece of tape. Look for this cable and the tan 9 pin to RJ-45 adapter. Once you have this, you'll get the console session running. 9600 will be fine.

The webGUI issue you describe happened to me a looong time ago and it was solved with a heap size adjustment to java. Take a look at your JRE and be sure that the memory size allocated is at least 256M.

--TH13
    Last edited by thehorse13; January 2nd, 2007 at 09:56 PM.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

My bad zillah: I looked at this post just minutes after waking up. I should have paid more attention.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

The cable is typically light blue and flat like a piece of tape.
    This is the one that i am using :
    http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Cisco-Consol...QQcmdZViewItem

I am able to access the IDS by using the cable in the link above, the problem was with configuration of SecureCRT, I unticked (before one option out of three was ticked) all three options under "Flow Control".

I have another issue (The username administrator for webGUI is :forum and password : antionline,,,,fake one)

When I tried to use the above username and password for console :
    legolas login: cisco
    Password:

It gave me the error below :

***NOTICE***
    This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United
    States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and use.
    Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption. Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:
    http://www.cisco.com/wwl/export/crypto

If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to
    export@cisco.com.

Error: Cannot communicate with system processes. Please contact your system administrator.

I tired to use default username and password which are : cisco, but no luck.

I do not like to think about reseting the IDS (only as last resort), because it is production one.
    Last edited by zillah; January 3rd, 2007 at 06:56 AM.

The webGUI issue you describe happened to me a looong time ago and it was solved with a heap size adjustment to java. Take a look at your JRE and be sure that the memory size allocated is at least 256M.
    I was able to access the IDS via webGUI, when I changed the interface , immediatly after that I was not able, if the case with JRE, I should not have been able to access the webGUI before and after change,,,,Am I Right ?

When I tried through Telnet I received this error :
    The erro for Telnet is same error for console conncetion (please see the read phrase in previous reply)
    Last edited by zillah; January 3rd, 2007 at 06:57 AM.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zillah
    The erro for Telnet is same error for console conncetion (please see the read phrase in previous reply)
    Have a look in the Cisco knowledge base. There is an entry for this error message.

--Th13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden