Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two questions ...

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar

Two questions ...

Hi there everyone.

Running XP2:

First Q: Once you are in command prompt, start; run; cmd > you choose you color.

Color E = The color will be yellow. Just want to know how to save it to that color so I dont have to put that command in everytime I run command prompt.

Second Q: I want to scan my drives with scandisk. It is possible to do with without restarting. Windows always tells me it has to restart and then it will scan.

Also are there any other good scan and defrag programs I can use to optimise my system abit.

Thanks all.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Open Command prompt right click on the top of the window go to properties go to the colors tab and set it from there

AOs Resident Troll
    If you right click the tool bar at the top where it says C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe ...you should get the properties of the command prompt window and in there you can set your preferences...window or full screen, font and colours etc

as for scandisk....dont know

although I would think if i was going to use a utility to fix disk errors...it would probably be best to do it when nothing else is running????

Like before the os loads....no????

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Thanks guys, works like a charm

Does anyone else have any comments on the scandisk and defrag ...
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I don't think it's advisable to run scan disk (if it's even possible) while windows is running. I remember being able to do that in Win98 though
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Defrag can be done while the computer is running. It's the scandisk part that's a problem, since it doesn't want to run when the disk is "in use". In this case, Windows itself is using the disk to simply run, so the easiest solution is to find a time when you won't use the computer for a few hours (e.g. at night) and have it reboot-and-scan then. Defrag does not always ask you for scandisk, but it does when it has reason to think your computer wasn't shut down properly (e.g. crashed) since the last scandisk.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Thanks for the replies guys. Just was interested as Raion pointed out; Win86 you were able to scan
    Albert Einstein

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandisk

What about chkdsk, you can run that from within a command prompt, see syntax below (from: http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true)

Syntax
    chkdsk [Volume:][[Path] FileName] [/f] [/v] [/r] [/x] [/i] [/c] [/l[:Size]]

Parameters
    Volume:
    Specifies the drive letter (followed by a colon), mount point, or volume name.
    [Path] FileName
    Use with file allocation table (FAT) and FAT32 only. Specifies the location and name of a file or set of files that you want chkdsk to check for fragmentation. You can use wildcard characters (that is, * and ?) to specify multiple files.
    /f
    Fixes errors on the disk. The disk must be locked. If chkdsk cannot lock the drive, a message appears that asks you if you want to check the drive the next time you restart the computer.
    /v
    Displays the name of each file in every directory as the disk is checked.
    /r
    Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information. The disk must be locked.
    /x
    Forces the volume to dismount first, if necessary. All open handles to the drive are invalidated. /x also includes the functionality of /f.
    /i
    Use with NTFS only. Performs a less vigorous check of index entries, reducing the amount of time needed to run chkdsk.
    /c
    Use with NTFS only. Skips the checking of cycles within the folder structure, reducing the amount of time needed to run chkdsk.
    /l[:Size]
    Use with NTFS only. Changes the log file size to the size you type. If you omit the size parameter, /l displays the current size.
    /?
    Displays help at the command prompt.

Quote Originally Posted by Cider
    Also are there any other good scan and defrag programs I can use to optimise my system abit.

Thanks all.
    I have always been a fan of any norton utilities since they usually are more effective(defrag atleast).

a good tool to do disk cleaning would be spinrite

http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

its a good service from what ive seen, and the guy who wrote it is pretty knowledgable, but u still have to shutdown and restart, booting off the disk, and of course it costs money which isnt fun, but its another option out there

norton utilities, i used to have that, i didnt use it very often cause it was when i was pretty lil and didnt care much, i got rid of it cause it used a lot of RAM and i didnt think worth it, now i do care and i got Tune Up Utilities, which is pretty intense, but ive heard criticisms on that too, so i guess its preference
    if God was willing to live all out for us, why aren't we willing to live all out for Him? God bless,
    Godsrock37
    my home my forum