Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Firefox Myth debunking?

I wonder if links inherited engine code from from lynx... :P
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

I downloaded it... I ended up disabling JS altogether, and I will just enable sites that I trust... I am kind of liking opera... FF is more familiar, but I like some of the features...
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Depends on the user, as was said above. Me, I have neither the time nor the desire to go hunting down a dozen extensions, nor to upgrade them when the browser does, but I love features, tons of em. I have to have em.

Well...to add to what JPnyc said earlier...Firefox, Mozilla, and Netscape are all the children of AOL...I'm not sure exactly how much stock AOL still has in them or how involved they are now...but they were all financed and supported by AOL in their beginnings at least...which is why they all run off the same engine.
    Last edited by Egaladeist; January 4th, 2007 at 06:37 AM.

OY! I didn't know that. Now I'm really glad I don't use a browser!

Mozilla to this day still offers the AOL toolbar for their browsers:

AOL Toolbar
    by AOL LLC

About AOL® Toolbar for Firefox®
    http://downloads.channel.aol.com/firefox_toolbar

Access the best of AOL.com directly from your Firefox browser. You can search the Web, communicate with friends and family, organize information and set-up quick access to your favorite AOL.com features and services with the AOL Toolbar for Firefox. It's free, easy and takes only a minute to install.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2114/
    AOL Toolbar | Firefox Add-ons | Mozilla Corporation

jpnyc,
    what do you use in replace of a browser? wget, or a self written script? or is it a joke?
    if God was willing to live all out for us, why aren't we willing to live all out for Him? God bless,
    Godsrock37
    my home my forum

I just lay my hands on the modem and commune with the web. Yes, of course it was a joke. I use maxthon, an IE shell.

Hmmm,

In the beginning, AOL was one of the people who helped fund the Mozilla development.

In 1999, AOL bought Netscape so own it 100%.

FireFox postdates AOL's financing of Mozilla, as does SeaMonkey. AOL does not own any "stock" in any of them, and has not been involved for some time AFAIK.

Netscape took out a $750M antitrust suit against Microsoft, and AOL got the rights to use IE for free as part of the settlement.

They play these sort of games, just like MS supporting SCO

Any browser's safer w/o scripting. I always thought FF's strength was there was no ActiveX by default, which is great for dummies.

Been using Opera since 3.62. Probably the best $35 I ever spent on software. FF sees most of my browsing now though; force of habit.

Funny, I'm back to using IE regularly since picking up this support gig in an MS shop. Feels really wierd to use IE after all this time. Kinda like I'm walking around all the time with my fly open
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers