Startup enable/disable

Thread: Startup enable/disable

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar

Startup enable/disable

Hey there guys

After looking at my desktop, I just noticed how many items I have enabled in the bottom right of my screen. They must leech alot of ram and CPU power so I though I would post here.

1. RUNDLL32 - What is this, can I disable it.
    2. Ctfmon - Same as above.

Aslo what other tricks of the trade are there in "msconfig" that I can enable/disable etc.

Thanks guys ...
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

CTFMON is part of the creative lab drivers if I recall correctly. That runDDL32 is a way to run DLL files, and IIRC it is also part of the creative drivers. Don't hestitate to put those service names/filenames in google, the vast majority of the time, I get a good answer on what it is...often times with a good explanation of whether or not you really need it.
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Antionline Herpetologist
    rundll32.exe cannot be disabled as it is an essential Windows component. However, AFAIK, it shouldn't always be running. Basically rundll32 allows you to call a function from within a DLL without actually writing a program. I would suggest a scan for spyware, since many spyware programs are known to use a false rundll32 program to infect your PC.
    Ctfmon.exe is a program related to Microsoft Office. Details on how to prevent it from running can be found here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282599

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

A good little utility for controlling those startups is Startupcontrolpanel
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Autoruns is another great prgm for controlling what is run at start up however be carefull because its possible to turn off items that you really do need.
    ...."Cant stop the signal Mel, Every thing goes some where and i go every where."...... "From here to the eyes and the ears of the verse, thats my motto or might be if i start having a motto" - Mr. Universe "Serenity"

Quote Originally Posted by Cider
    Hey there guys

After looking at my desktop, I just noticed how many items I have enabled in the bottom right of my screen. They must leech alot of ram and CPU power so I though I would post here.

1. RUNDLL32 - What is this, can I disable it.
    2. Ctfmon - Same as above.

Aslo what other tricks of the trade are there in "msconfig" that I can enable/disable etc.

Thanks guys ...
    Be very careful my friend!!!

By the "bottom right" I assume that you mean the "System Tray"?????????

RUNDLL32 and Ctfmon are background processes, they should not be in the System Tray.

The system tray is really to give you rapid management access to applications and one or two other things............typically you will see:

1. Internet connection monitor (looks like two TV screens)
    2. Modem detection/connection monitor (the icon varies with the make of modem)
    3. Firewall
    4. Interactive Anti-Virus
    5. USB device manager
    6. Other interactive anti-malware icons

Your assumption that these applications and background processes "leech alot of RAM and CPU power" is not quite true. Basically, only things that are actually running use processing resource.

Please go into Windows Task Manager and look at the "Applications" and "Processes", and "Performance" screens. That will show you what is going on.

Personally I use WinPatrol from BillP Studios to tune these things.It has a very handy facility to suspend/enable startup items. I particularly use this tool as it is very good for resolving conflicts on the fly.

As for RAM.................... why worry, unless you are getting low memory warnings? After all, a stick of RAM that isn't being used might as well be in your desk drawer.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Hey guys

Thanks for all the replies. nihil: I didn't mean those particular things were in the system tray, i was just observing it and found all sorts of rubbish starting up.

The RUNDLL32 and ct were in task manager, yes.

Dalek: Im busy downloading that program you sugested as well as the one nihil is using.

Thanks for all the replies guys
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Just google the files showing up in msconfig and start toggling. Msconfig always did the 'trick' for me.

Also go to 'Administrative Tools' in the Control Panel and toggle some of the Services (also can be done from that tab in msconfig). I'd do this judiciously and note any changes I make. Fwiw.

More on services:

http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Hi,

You can safely disable startup programs by using MSCONFIG. Visit the following websites for more information:

http://www.netsquirrel.com/msconfig/

http://www.duxcw.com/faq/win/msconfig.htm