Thread: WRT54G, WG311 Wireless networking problem

WRT54G, WG311 Wireless networking problem

So i found i had an extra system laying around that i never use. So i gave it to my buddy who went out and got a router and a netgear card. Its a WRT54G v6 and a netgear wg311 v3 i set it up with the latest drivers. Router has been set up using WEP because his nintendo DS doesnt support wpa. It works great for awhile then every thing drops off. The Computer loses DNS i cant ping any thing including the gateway. Nothing works except a restart. Its a windows XP pro machine SP2. Onboard Nic has a crossover cable running to a PS2 and is using internet connection sharing. However the ps2 is shut off most of the time. Its strange. The other computers connected to the router do not have this problem Any suggestions? im at a loss im not sure what it is. Its a DSL connection.
    ...."Cant stop the signal Mel, Every thing goes some where and i go every where."...... "From here to the eyes and the ears of the verse, thats my motto or might be if i start having a motto" - Mr. Universe "Serenity"

I could be way off.. but just a thought... have you set the DSL modem to 'bridge mode'? and the router to PPPoE?
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Quote Originally Posted by westin
    I could be way off.. but just a thought... have you set the DSL modem to 'bridge mode'? and the router to PPPoE?
    Haha i think you are mate but its ok thanks for trying. The connection works just fine for about hour or more... and then it just drops off. And i cant ping any ting including the gateway. However the netgear wifi managers still says it has a great connection to the gateway. The gateway is in the next room and were getting 100% signal. Were talking a wifi distance of two feet here.
    ...."Cant stop the signal Mel, Every thing goes some where and i go every where."...... "From here to the eyes and the ears of the verse, thats my motto or might be if i start having a motto" - Mr. Universe "Serenity"

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    OK, so you know the problem is local to the host. Have you tried to run XPFIX.exe? Google it for a DL site. This tool rebuilds the networking stack on XP. I've had odd situations like this one and this tool worked more times than not. See if it helps you out.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

TheHorse13 Thanks for the tip i googled for the XPFIX.exe but all i cound find was stuff dealing with spyware. Your suggestion did rememd me of some software i had used before http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html think this would work? Any other suggestions from people are welcome... It seems to drop off after about an hour to hour and a half.

had him run the winsock fix but the issue is still happining... any ideas?