January 7th, 2007, 02:02 AM
audio driver problems
VIA Vinyl AC'97, anyone ever have problems with xp and this sound driver compatibility issues, like not passing winxp logo bla bla bla stuff lol, I have an exclamation at the moment on my onboard sound driver with xp running, any help with this would be great thanks
January 7th, 2007, 09:54 AM
That sounds like an onboard AC97 chipset?
Yes I have, and I have never managed to resolve it, neither has anyone else that I know. In my opinion it isn't even worth the effort............. just get an independent audio card, they are cheap and generally much better than onboard chipsets.
I suppose the first thing you ought to try is getting the latest drivers for it. Go to your Computer/MoBo supplier first, and if that doesn't work, try the latest "combo" generic driver from Via.
Last edited by nihil; January 7th, 2007 at 11:50 AM.
January 7th, 2007, 11:52 PM
thanks nihil, was curious, never had this problem before but everytime I install the driver from my motherboard disk or a downloaded driver I get the same errors and think it causes bsod sometimes?
January 8th, 2007, 12:36 AM
Try using Windows Update to get the latest drivers for the audio chip. You might have better results, since Windows Update only shows WHQL certified drivers.
January 8th, 2007, 12:10 PM
If you cannot find a driver solution, you might try this:
1. Disable onboard sound in BIOS and remove the driver in your hardware manager, then reboot.
2. Power down and reboot into setup and re-enable the onboard sound...... see if Windows detects the chipset and finds a driver for it.
Incidentally, I have come across this problem in Windows 2000 as well, so it is not just an XP "thing"
January 10th, 2007, 01:53 AM
hi all thanks for all the help, I fixed it, I was getting blue screens left and right and even when i used windows update it would tell me that the driver wasn't logo tested or whatever, which i thought was wierd, but anyway the problem for my bsod's was I needed to upgrade my chipset drivers, now sound is working, and no more bsod's