Thread: audio driver problems

audio driver problems

VIA Vinyl AC'97, anyone ever have problems with xp and this sound driver compatibility issues, like not passing winxp logo bla bla bla stuff lol, I have an exclamation at the moment on my onboard sound driver with xp running, any help with this would be great thanks

That sounds like an onboard AC97 chipset?

Yes I have, and I have never managed to resolve it, neither has anyone else that I know. In my opinion it isn't even worth the effort............. just get an independent audio card, they are cheap and generally much better than onboard chipsets.

EDIT:

I suppose the first thing you ought to try is getting the latest drivers for it. Go to your Computer/MoBo supplier first, and if that doesn't work, try the latest "combo" generic driver from Via.
    Last edited by nihil; January 7th, 2007 at 12:50 PM.

thanks nihil, was curious, never had this problem before but everytime I install the driver from my motherboard disk or a downloaded driver I get the same errors and think it causes bsod sometimes?

Antionline Herpetologist
    Try using Windows Update to get the latest drivers for the audio chip. You might have better results, since Windows Update only shows WHQL certified drivers.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Hmmm,

If you cannot find a driver solution, you might try this:

1. Disable onboard sound in BIOS and remove the driver in your hardware manager, then reboot.

2. Power down and reboot into setup and re-enable the onboard sound...... see if Windows detects the chipset and finds a driver for it.

Incidentally, I have come across this problem in Windows 2000 as well, so it is not just an XP "thing"

hi all thanks for all the help, I fixed it, I was getting blue screens left and right and even when i used windows update it would tell me that the driver wasn't logo tested or whatever, which i thought was wierd, but anyway the problem for my bsod's was I needed to upgrade my chipset drivers, now sound is working, and no more bsod's