r10: Watchdog timeout

Thread: r10: Watchdog timeout

r10: Watchdog timeout

Ive been running freebsd for sometime now on my desktop and decided to install it on my laptop. It installed successfully but when trying to update my ports or doing anything requiring any type of internet connection i get this error after a few seconds: r10: Watchdog timeout

Ive tried to turn this off by /usr/sbin/watchdog -t 0 but it didnt help either.
    Any help would be great.

Just Another Geek
    Are you also using the proprietary nvidia driver? I had the same problem on my desktop and stability problems with the nvidia driver. Turns out the onboard NIC and the AGP slot were sharing the same IRQ. The NVidia driver shouldn't have a problems with interrupt sharing according to their techies. I was only able to resolve this by sticking in a PCI NIC and disabling the onboard one. I couldn't change the IRQ of either the onboard NIC or the AGP port, I'll bet they're hardwired. By sticking in a PCI card I was able to use seperate IRQs. Looks like the realtek drivers (re and rl) don't like to share their interrupts.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Yea i was fearing it was that.
    Im not super comfortable with taking apart my laptop so im not sure if i would be able to put in another NIC.

I might make the move to NetBSD on my laptop if i cant get the NIC in.

Just Another Geek
    Check dmesg and see if it's actually sharing an IRQ.. Perhaps you can change your's in the BIOS? I couldn't, which is why I had to resort to sticking another card in eventhough the onboard one was fine. You could also stick a PCMCIA network card in it.. Or file a bug report and hope they'll fix it..
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I searched through dmesg and it wasnt sharing an IRQ with anything else.
    So no idea what is causing it.