Thread: HD DVD's AACS Protection Bypassed in Only 8 Days

HD DVD's AACS Protection Bypassed in Only 8 Days

I'm sure a lot of people will have read this story mentioned in Slashdot, and watched the video of the hack by "Muslix64". Coming so soon on the heels of the demonoid thread posting a Vista time bomb fix, I just wonder if Microsoft and the other very high profile companies associated with both of these "security" measures have lost the plot.

While it's true that most things will be cracked given time, this so called unbreakable AACS has taken just 8 days while Vista now has a so called solution to problem of the time trial expiring within a month of the Corporate version being released, and before the home version is even out on the market!

Regarding HD DVD, I wonder if this is good or bad news for Sony? Blu Ray has two layers of protection so software vendors may prefer it as a standard, while home users will now probably all want HD DVD! No doubt someone wil circumvent Blu Ray protection soon anyway.

At the moment it's fairly theoretical anyway. I accept the guy has a point about fair usage, but anyone who can pay the ridiculous prices for Blu Ray or HD DVD drives (in fact are there any HD DVD drives out yet even?) can certainly afford to buy two copies of a movie! Personally I don't see the point in getting either until there's a drive supporting both formats.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Well Hd DVD is atleast in the relm for most computer users.. Its been shown how to use the HD DVD driver from an xbox360 to play hd movies on your computer. http://uneasysilence.com/archive/2006/11/8303/ and if i remeber right its only 200 bucks. So if you have the money its much cheaper then getting a player. So yeah id say its in the relm. I just love seeing their hard work torn down. Maby one day they really will wake up.
    ...."Cant stop the signal Mel, Every thing goes some where and i go every where."...... "From here to the eyes and the ears of the verse, thats my motto or might be if i start having a motto" - Mr. Universe "Serenity"

Interesting. I wouldn't exactly say that brought HD DVD into the realm of normal computer users though. There's an awful lot of people wouldn't be happy modding an xbox like that and if it went wrong it's still a lot of money to waste.

I don't know about you but I don't have $200 to spare for HD DVD at the moment, given that nobody knows which standard is going to triumph in the end.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Yes I did - and I watched the video. I just didn't know whether they were appropriate links to post.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

I don't see why not! Information wants to be free!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Well, some forums might have considered links to hacking videos inappropriate and I didn't want to risk it. I haven't been here long enough (actively) to suss things out.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

I don't have time to check out the other link as I am in school, but he responded to those remarks here:
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=119871&page=13
    And released version 1 yesterday as well

Honestly, all this title key, volume key stuff...don't understand one bit of it..going to have to read up on how all this works. Sounds interesting.
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!