Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fans

fans

hi all,
    I have Thermaltake case with 5 fans and 1 fan on pcu.
    2 fans are in front and 2 on back of case and one on side window and one on pcu.
    what is the best configuration for fans (air intake-outtake)??
    thanks

I am no expert, but I would say, have the two in front as intake, the two in back as exaust, and the one for your cpu blowing the heat away from it... if someone knows of a better way, please correct me... but that seems like the most logical setup...
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Hi,

Get an "exhaust fan"............. this is a flat device that fits into a space at the back, possibly where a PCI card would go, but on a large tower it would be below the MoBo.

These shift 40cfm or better, so you create a semi vacuum inside the case.

Please remember to regularly clean stuff (3 months) particularly if you have furry pets

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    Are you intending to run with the case closed or open?

I run mine with the case open so any fan I have blows into the case.

If you are going to run with the case closed you'll want an equal volume of cfm going in as coming out.

AMD athlon chips and heat sinks have the fan blow onto the chip which does <sarcasm> an excellent job of packing the heat sink with dust.</sarcasm>

I would think "pulling" the heat of the chip would be better.

Another consideration is the clearance from the sides of the case to the furniture housing it. The best fan in the world can't move air if its output is blocked.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

In a closed case, it is generally it's better to have slightly more air being pushed in than pulled out. It balances in the end, of course, but by doing so you have a slight positive pressure within the case which means your case is less likely to get dusty.

Generally cases are made with the idea of front-to-back airflow. With 1 fan already on the processor, I'd put 2 in the front and 2 in the back. (Your PSU's fan will generally also blow out the back.) Either save the last fan for something else, or mount it wherever, preferably in the front. (Remember some hard drives get pretty warm too.)

If you have a side panel near the graphics card you can put the last fan there. I'm not sure which direction would be better--if you have a way to measure the temperature, you can test which one leads to a cooler graphics card.

Also, you may need to juggle the location of your fans if only certain ones have speed indicator or speed control leads which your motherboard or PSU are compatible with.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

hi and ty,
    i run the case with side closed.i think in earlier posts read that is not good idea to keep case open.corect me guys if that is wrong.
    my cpu temperature is around 45 -50 in summer and 35-40c in winter (amd athlon).
    i tought too that front 2 intake and 2 back outake is perety logical set-up.side ones is close to pcu fan so it actually push outside air to cpu fan.
    thanks for your answers

Hi unvi$ible,

I forgot to mention that you can get front panel inserts to fit in front of your hard drives............they prevent stale hot air building up around the drives.

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    I've been running with the case open for years, the computer sits on top of my desk, its well aired. I'm too lazy to put the cover on as I tend to change things quite often.

The computer has never overheated, I have a temp monitor on it.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

The reason you don't leave your case open? Spills and bouncing paperclips can make for expensive replacements.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

I only leave the case open when I am trouble shooting. Apart from the problems of foreign bodies and lint gettin in, the closed case enables you to create the pressure/vacuum effect that makes for more efficient cooling.