c:\ does from 500mb to empty

Thread: c:\ does from 500mb to empty

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar

c:\ does from 500mb to empty

Hey all

Running XP2.

IM trying to install a ptch for a particular game, however from past XP it doesnt install till there is some space on my windows driver (c:\).

I will delete some files and see 500 MB free but 10 seconds later there is nothing or has dropped to 50MB. What the hell is going on?

Must I perform a diskcheck? I was unable to install what i wanted. This happens quite alot to me. Any comments avaible.

Thanks
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Hi

It might be the system restore taking up that space. Check the space settings you have kept for the system restore.

My computer > Properties > System Restore > Settings.

It might be that as soon as you freed space it was taken up by the restore facility.

Also deleting files does not release space until you remove them from the recycle bin as well because they are still present if you want to restore them.
    \"The Smilie Wars\" ... just arrived after the great crusades

.... computers come to the rescue .... ah technology at last has some use.

Hi there, thanks for the reply. I just turned system restore off. IM going to reboot and fun a scan on my drive. Will up date with results.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Ahhh, trying to uninstall is the best with windows. It doesnt allow to uninstall if you have no space on your windows drive. How can i make space if it wont let me uninstall ...
    Albert Einstein

Hi,

The other thing to look at is your page file (virtual memory). I think that XP will default to 1.5x your physical RAM. This box has 1Gig of PC2700, and the page file defaults to about 1.5Gig. I have never seen it get to 400Mb, so that is a lot of potentially wasted space.................but in a 40Gig partition, who cares

In your case, you might manually set the page file whilst you do your upgrade, or even move the page file to another partition if you have one. I have not tried it in XP, but in older versions of windows you had to find and delete the old Windows generated page/swap file.

Please do not be too aggressive when resizing your page file...........I would be inclined to leave it at 512Mb or more to begin with

Wow okay. After doing some investigating I have found the problem.

I was checking out my C drive and decided to show hidden files. In one of my local setting folders I found that windows had duplicated the file I was trying to install, everytime I double clicked it, it would duplicate. I dont know if its cache or what. There were 3 folder each with this file in. I deleted them all and freed up to 1G space. Why does windows do this? That is wasted space of note.

To be honest there is so much rubbish hidden away in your files, I am reluctant to just delete some files but someone must really wite a guide on what to delete. Windows just hordes all the rubbish files.

My girlfriend from time to time plays sims on this PC and it saves all saved games to my windows drive, is there anyway I can save my game files to my other drive, this is taking up space too.

Well thanks anyway for the replies guys.

Nihil: Ill check VM now...

OK well my VM was set from 1.5k to 3k ... abit much, however i did read somewhere that you must have it 2x your memory installed or something to that affect.

I changed it from 512 min and 784 max, is that okay?
    Last edited by Cider; January 12th, 2007 at 10:47 AM.
    Albert Einstein

It sounds as if you have 1GB of RAM? Windows will set the minimum to 1.5x and the maximum to 3x the actual physical RAM.

This is probably excessive when you reach 1GB of physical RAM. Logically, the more physical memory you have, the less demand you will have for virtual memory.

A lot depends on what you actually use your computer for. I think those settings are OK for a start, you will get a memory shortage warning if it is not enough. Remember that with XP you must have some virtual memory

As for your three folders, I would be more inclined to blame the application than Windows. Typically, Windows would overwrite the existing file each time you double clicked.

With your saved games I would expect there to be a setting within the game itself to select the path for the saved files? The default will be C:\ as many people only have one drive and one partition.

Please get the free application called "Crap Cleaner"............ it is very good at getting rid of temporary rubbish

Thanks for the reply nihil
    Albert Einstein