Thread: Uninstalling NIS 06

Uninstalling NIS 06

So here is my issue a friend is using AOL safety and security center. He previously had NIS06 and has asked me to remove it as AOL says its installed. So I uninstalled via the control panel. AOL still says NIS is there. OK, so I tried the norton removal tool.
    AOL still says norton is there. Im getting confused, I checked the hd for anything that says symantec or norton and delete it. Did the same with the registry. AOL still says NIS is installed.

Im out of ideas, anyone got some help other than advise him to use a real antivirus or format the hd?
    <chsh> I've read more interesting technical discussion on the wall of a public bathroom than I have at AO at times

1. It is usually better to use the application's removal tool rather than the control panel.

2. When I uninstall security type software, I prefer to do it in safe mode, as they usually load interactive protection elements when you boot into normal mode.

I suspect that Norton might be rather more difficult to get rid of that you expect, so I would try running the removal tool again in safe mode then do a cold reboot.

My next move would be to uninstall and reinstall the AOL software. It is possible that it has set some flag or record within itself. Given that neither the Windows removal mechanism nor the Norton tool will be aware of the AOL software, they won't correct this information when you remove Norton.

Please be sure to check all user profiles to ensure that Norton has been removed.

had this issue in the past, I would try what nihil said first but as a last resort, I would go start,search, and delete all nis entries g/l

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    I don't believe that tool was written to remove NIS. Have a look at the config file and you'll see which items it will yank from the system. Rumor has it another tool exists that WILL take NIS out of your system when this happens. I will look into it on Tuesday morning when I return to work.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

I remember reading that uninstalling NIS leaves traces of it all over your HDD. I'd called Symantec and ask them what the "total wipe" is.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Norton_Rem...NRT_d4749.html

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Alakhiyar beat me to it. The Symantec link above is what I was getting at. The NIS removal tool.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

I've been using that tool since it came out the short link to it is www.symantec.com/symnrt The tool actually expires after a certian amount of time to ensure you have the latest version so it is useless to keep around :-S And yes it is supposed to have to have the visual comformation. It is to prevent people from modifying or scripting an automated uninstall on Nav/Nis etc.

Just a little more info and some clarification.
    After uninstalling via the control panel and seeing that aol still said NIS was installed, I uninstalled aol just to make sure it wasnt some flag it set somewhere. I then went to the link before as previously mentioned downloaded the symnrt norton removal tool which states it removes NIS 06 and ran it. I then rebooted and reinstalled aol but to no avail it still said NIS was installed.
    Thats when i went file searching and registry key searching. I went so far as to install on a clean system of my own, just to monitor the registry keys that norton implants then arduosly went in to search for most of those keys in the registry. All of those which pointed to NIS in some way were gone. Unfortunately aol said otherwise.
    I have given up and told my friend that norton is gone and to live with aol saying its there. I give credit to those aol developers for the way they detect NIS. Bastards!!! You win this round.
    <chsh> I've read more interesting technical discussion on the wall of a public bathroom than I have at AO at times