Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why so many guests?

Why so many guests?

Can non members post here? I just took a look at who was on the site and it said 172 guests, 7 members! I just wonder why more people don't register - I've never seen a forum with proportions like this, normally you'd get the same sort of figures but reversed
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

AOs Resident Troll
    Well...I dont always sign in...although I do lurk...so I would be considered a guest until I logged in...

which I just did to post

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

I wasa gonna ask a similar question but was lazy to post it. Seems to me like the number of members online dropped significantly since the update, on the old software we usually had around 40 members online on a medium night, on a good night over 60 -70....now all i see is all under 10 almost....and guests used to go up to 600 and up before.....
    O.G at A.O

Exactly .... and I have all my forums set to automatically login, it's much easier and there's no reason not to. I find it annoying to think of a reply to a post and then have to waste time logging in! It could be that the "guests" are mainly members not logged in, but in my experience people tend to log into a forum they're a member of when they browse.

The forums seem to generate a lot of interest, but we only have a small loyal userbase for some reason and I wondered why.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

AOs Resident Troll
    I keep getting logged out and cant bother to log in till I have something to say...

I do not automatically log into anything....

MLF

FF keeps timing me out, I don't think that was entirely answered when we were experiencing problems before, I've tried all settings in FF, so it's probably a few other users who keep getting timed out?
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

AOs Resident Troll
    and there are "hidden members"

I am pretty sure they show up as guests

MLF

Actually it's pretty common for our sites. Our search engine rankings are pretty high in most of the "big SE's" so you'll find a lot of guests here who followed a link returned in a search, and are just looking for an answer to their question or interest. Many of em don't want to be a member of a forum, they just wanted the info they searched on.

Don't hidden members not simply show up as "hidden"? That's what I've found on other forums - admins see the name in italics but other people can't, including moderators. This software might be different of course.

I'm not getting any of the timeouts now, not at all.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

BANNED
    Don't + not = double negative
    This thread = ridiculous
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...