Thread: Pirate2Profit?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Pirate2Profit?

Has anyone heard of these guys: pirate2profit.com? They claim to reduce piracy of software for a company for a meager $800/month. Curious claim and more curious of how. The one thing that does come to mind is that once you "hire" this company the potential is there to hold a company "ransom" to ensure they remain free of piracy (if I was a company who did take this on, I'd want a fleet of lawyers and legalese to prevent abuse after the fact once the agreement had ended).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Yes, and their "mitigations", in some cases, border on illegal but certainly are questionable and/or unethical.

There are far better ways to be sure that your organization maintains clean software licensing and many are free.

Are you looking to do such an audit Mitts?

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    No. They have been doing some cold calling, trying to drum up business with a few companies and I've been asked about it. My gut reaction is no way as I don't think there truly is any way to stop piracy of software other than to make a great product, offer good support and price the product at a reasonable price range. (but that's my utopian view)
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Banned
    I'm going to have to nominate that company for the worst business name ever... Judging from the name, I'd expect them to be operating from Russia and offering pirated software at dumping prices

Also: any company that has a one-line mission statement and manages to screw it up spelling-wise doesn't come over as very trustworthy

The primary intent is to be intimidate
    Do you think they meant intimate... The whole site is full of grammar and spelling errors, $800/month is waayyy too much...

And this http://www.weconvict.com/ does not exist....stay away from these guy's
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Hopefully someone from their company will spot this post and come here to argue with me, just like the OpenDNS guys did last week.

/me places the huckster stamp on these guys too.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Weird company, but i can understand it in these digital times.

My personal opinion of this whole matter is that pirate2profit.com would be redundant if the software makers, music distributors etc would make it easier and more trouble free to aquire the legal media etc.
    Having "tried " stuff myself, i have often experienced that the pirated product have given me a better experience than the original stuff.
    I havent bought a CD that i can remember since 1994 (Pink Floyd: Pulse if you got to know) since using the media has created more problems than a similiar pirated product. I dont download music either so i got to rely on radio to hear the new stuff.

Interesting discussion

As a musician, i will never sign a record contract. I think my potential fans should be able to do whatever they want with their copy which is why i will make my music donation based only.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Well, having looked around their site, they certainly aren't a US outfit, even if they do have a Florida address.

dalek: they did mean intimidate, it is the "be" that shouldn't be there

I think the most telling thing is their comment that Microsoft can't do it with all their billions.............well, neither can they. What they are suggesting is no more than RIAA, MPAA, and various industry and legal organisations are already doing. My view would be that if you are already subscribing and paying taxes............why pay twice?

Their idea of creating false leads and "click frauding" them into the top 30 in search engines is pathetic............. the implication is that downloaders are morons?

If you look at "warez" sites, you see that they are generally hosted in countries that either do not have, or do not enforce copyright.

My conclusion would be that it all sounds very plausible but is a waste of space

FYI,
    * Site is hosted in Germany
    * Domain registered in Oct 2006 via cheap hoster called 1and1.com
    * Registration points to a physical address in the US in state of PA
    * Physical address appears to be a multi-tennant commercial building

The english is so bad it's almost like it was translated from another language...maybe German?!