Thread: VirtualPC and Linux

VirtualPC and Linux

Anyone know how this to do is?
    I tried VirtualPC 2004 and OpenSuse 10.2. I see the blue screen of Suse, I click on Install and then
    I was always getting a black screen.

Now I installed VirtualPC 2007 beta and the result is nearly the same - now I get the Suse blue screen I click on install and then shows again a blue screen(Suse) and it is written press ESC for more details - I do it, but nothing happens.

I got a message from Virtual PC telling me that some addons are missing, but when I try to install them nothing happen.

What Am I doing wrong?
    Remember, all I\'m offering is the truth, nothing more.

afaik VP has a crap support for Non Windows Systems - MS removed all when bought the company. Some distro didnt run well under VPC or even never install. There is a special problem with video drivers, since VPC emulates a very old video device and all OS use to need more than that (but MS only provided "better" video support for Windows).
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

I have heard there are some problems with some distributions making it hard running Linux VPC.
    Ubuntu is working (the last i heard) same with Fedora i think.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

use VMWare instead

I have installed SUSE within VirtualPC 2004 without issue. I have had similar experiences with other distros. It turned out to be a video card/monitor configuration. My system has an on board S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR video adapter plus a GeForce FX 5500 video card. The Virtual machine wants to use the on board video and required some work in FreeBSD to work. SUSE installed fine though with the S3 configuration. The video driver and monitor settings for my system are as follows:
    S3 86C764/765 (S3) [S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR]
    Nokia 447ZA [12-86kHz / 50-150-Hz]
    1024x768
    16 bit color
    I suspect it is one of the two that is causing the issue for you.
    I have attached a screen shot of my installed distros.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Clp727; January 18th, 2007 at 11:50 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot...

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The3ntropy
    use VMWare instead
    Use vmplayer, it's free!

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

http://vpc.visualwin.com/ is always worth a look, but in this case it only mentions an alpha release of 10.2 (that doesn't work).

Linux support in Virtual PC can be pretty hit-and-miss. If you can, try to use a text-only install method and deal with X later. Even then it's not always smooth.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm downloading SUSE 10 now and we will see what thre result will be!
    Thank you all for the answers!
    Remember, all I\'m offering is the truth, nothing more.

im using VMware and working perfectly with linux and windows , you can also make virtual LAN windows and linux

Smile No Problems w/ MS VPC here...

Taking a Linux course at the local univ, trying to pick up where i left off ten years ago with OSS.
    One of my small boxes (AMD K-6 3D 455mhz processor, 458mb RAM, couple of old 10-gig drives, small video card...) has SUSE 10.1 working quite well dual-booted with W2G-Pro, but not using MS VPC wrapper. MS VPC said the box was not capable of running VPC. Before that SUSE 10.1 was loaded into the VPC wrapper (for lack of a better term) on a larger box (1.24mhz processor, 780mb RAM, two physical eide drives, 160gig C: and 80gig D:. Both RH Fedora and SUSE 10.1 loaded well onto that second box, of which only RH Fedora (2.4.22.1) remains in a VPC wrapper. The SUSE 10.1 (2.6.16.21.0.25) having migrated over to the older small box. To get the dual-boot to work after loading i had to edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst file, telling Windows it was not really where it thought it was. (google dual-boot windows with grub, or some such term, it wasn't in any of my books).
    Just got all the parts in yesterday for a new 64-bit box which will house SUSE 10.2, ordered last night from Novell Store. I guess that's my small way of supporting all the work that goes into the development. The boxed version comes with a 32/64 bit DVD, 5 (or 6, can't remember) CDRoms, and a manual. I need all the manuals i can get ahold of, btw.
    Just thought i'd toss in my 2c worth; VPC worked fine with RH Fedora and SUSE 10.1 in the VPC wrapper. VPC wrapper would not load on my old smaller box because of inadequate resources, but SUSE loaded dual-boot just fine onto the same box with a clean HD with W2GPro on it's own physical drive. One of the FAQ answers at the SUSE problem-solver says 10.1 doesn't like AMD K-6's, but it loaded fine on mine.
    ...For what it's worth, just needed to say hello once a year or so...