Thread: 1Gig capped connections

Question 1Gig capped connections

Greetings all,
    My question is this:Is my 1gig downloads calculated by actual downloads or does that include browsing and video streaming via webcam..I have e-mailed my isp regarding this issue but they have not responded yet.

What is the general perseption in this regard..Anybody know?
    Thanks
    vanman
    Practise what you preach.

I would assume that it would include browsing and video/audio streams too. They probably don't check the content of the download, just bandwidth used.

Are you in the states? I've yet to hear of a US ISP limit bandwidth totals. They generally only limit speeds.

BTW: You only get 1 gig for a while month? Or is that a daily limit? I don't know how it'd be possible to NOT go over that limit with all the multimedia. I'm constantly watching streaming video or listening to audio. Not to mention all the torrents.
    Last edited by phishphreek; January 18th, 2007 at 07:13 PM.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Good to hear from you again..it has been a while..I am in South Africa..I have not updated my profile since all the changes..Anyway yes they have capped me to 1gig at R250.00(south african rand).I suppose they will then charge me per mb or per 100mb there after..I must admit that if that is the case as you said i would definitely need more..

thanks again phishphreek

Hi,

I guess your 1Gig is per month?...............the price seems rather high for that, I think that you can get 3Gig from some providers at that price? but you may not have the option?

I live in the UK, but I have a good friend who lives in East London (your one, that is ) I seem to recall him telling me that "caps" in SA actually result in your broadband stopping working...............you might like to check that out, and if there is an online top-up facility?

I think that most of your providers are the same as ours and will charge by the gigabyte.

It is per month and is high i think as well.. i am not sure if it gets disconnected or continues at a rate /100mb after that..As soon as i know i will let you guys know..

By the way the connection i have is wireless radionet..Ater installation the download speed test they did came to 10mb in 1 min 7sec, in peak time.Is this good or average?I am using dumeter to monitor my download totals..Is there a more accurate bandwidth total monitor that you know of?
    Last edited by vanman; January 19th, 2007 at 10:34 AM. Reason: updating

Hi there,
    Ok guys i have spoken to my service provider and they said that my 1gig cap includes browsing,downloads video streaming etc.. in short all traffic up and down.
    I have already used 200mb in a week.They said they do not switch it off but e-mail or phone you to tell you that you have reached your limit.Then offer to upload another gig and so on..
    Is there anyway that i can run software which would make them only see half of what i actually use?Now thats what i call desperate..lol.

cheers

Are you sharing your connection? If so, you'll have to put the bandwidth monitor that the gateway. If not, then there are a bunch of applications out there that will keep bandwidth stats for you. Some are free, some are not.

My favorite non free bandwidth meter is called "DU Meter" and you can check it out @ http://www.hageltech.com/dumeter/

There are a bunch of other monitors that are freeware. A quick search of google provided the following link: http://www.dirfile.com/freeware/bandwidth-monitor.htm

vanman: Good to see you back on here too. I don't participate on this site as much as I once did... but that is because I was spending entirely too much time on forums and whatnot. I'll still lurk and post when I have nothing better to do. Hope all is well.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Well in South africa we get capped on using browsing and downloading combined. If you feel that you arent using that ask for a log from the ISP company and check you times you logged on. Account stealing in South africa is like 2nd hand here. I request a log everytime I am not happy with my cap.

**DONT GIVE YOUR ACCOUNT TO ANYONE, NOT EVEN A FRIEND**
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein