The screen > me
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The screen > me

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar

The screen > me

hey all

didnt know whether to post here or not but here is goes.

Got a 21 inch screen, very nice and 6600GT SLi card, SP2.

Now running 1600 x 1200 @ 75hz. I hate it when everything is huge in your face as I like this resolution. However @ 75hz it is well for a better word, raping my eyes. Is there anyway I can make it atleast 85 hz without dropping the resolution.

Any tips and tricks will be appreciated.

Thanks all
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

In a word: "no".

If you persist in running your equipment at unsupported resolution/refresh combinations you run a real risk of damaging both the video card and the monitor.

Please check the supported values for both the card and monitor

Remember that there are three factors here:

1. Resolution
    2. Refresh rate
    3. Number of colours (16bit, 24bit, 32bit etc.)

So you could try reducing the number of colours.

However, the average human cannot tell the difference between 75Hz and 85Hz..................so if you can, it almost certainly means that you are using unsupported settings already

You might try 72Hz and/or reducing the resolution.

I would check the monitor specifications first, as that is usually where the limitation lies.

Thanks for the reply nihil.

I dropped from 75 to 72 Hz, wow what a difference. I'm just trying to figure out if this will damage my eyes ...
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Hi Cider,

72Hz is considered suitable for continuous office use over here, and we have some pretty heavy legislation about health and safety using VDUs.

It should not cause a problem remember that most of the LCD screens only support 75Hz maximum.

I see, however I am used to 85 - 100 so its a difference.

Thanks for the replies.
    Albert Einstein

Well, from what I can find out, your card should support 2048x1536 @ 85Hz and 32bit?

Is your monitor actually recognised by your system? By that, I mean does it show up as the correct make and model, or is it showing as "Default Monitor"?

The "bottleneck" is certainly with the monitor, and I have encountered situations where loading the correct drivers and getting the monitor recognised for what it really was, created more configuration options and allowed higher refresh rates/greater resolution.

What is it's make and model? let me know, and I will check it out for you........I don't have the bandwidth problems that you guys in SA have

Just Another Geek
    The "problem" is usually the monitor.. I have a FX5200 connected to a 19 inch brandless monitor that's running 1600x1200@80Hz.

If you really want something more clear/stable to the eyes invest in an LCD screen. My other computer uses a Dell FP2001, that's running 1600x1200@60Hz. Eventhough the refresh rate is lower it's much more stable to the eyes.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Hey nihil

Its comming up as and Plug and play monitor. The screen in question is 19 inch, I was thinking of one at work.

Its a philips Flatron, 19"... thats all the information I can remember. Philips 109 B6, found that now.

But if Sirdice is getting that resolution @ 80hz surely I get get more...
    Albert Einstein

Unhappy

Hi Cider, I am afraid that you are out of luck mate.

I checked the Philips site and that monitor will only support 1600x1200 @ 75Hz.

This is the driver, but it won't do you much good given the overall constraints.

Incidentally "Flatron" is a registered trade name of LG (Goldstar).............. I know............I have one
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank you. Geez nihil do you get paid for this because you really go out of your way to help.

Thanks again
    Albert Einstein