Thread: Physical Protection for Switches

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar

Physical Protection for Switches

Hey all,
    I've been checking around all day and haven't found much in the way of good sites for physical security for routers/switches. Basically I was wondering if some kind of small case/locker exists for a switch and a firewall appliance. Everything I found online was entirely too big to be practical.
    Even if someone has a nice workaround idea or something I could rig up, I'd be more than happy to listen. Just don't tell me to take the trunk from a '69 Impala, mount it on the wall and drill some holes in for the wiring.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

This is what I use for my clients with small branch offices. Includes a UPS and is fully lockable.

http://www.liebert.com/dynamic/displ...21&cycles=60hz

Have you looked at handgun lockers?

If you'll look for something called a CCTV Lockbox. It's used for CCTV equipment, usually has a key locked front flip down face, pop up top, and it's made to fit a VCR (or about the size of a rack mount switch). They usually have power plugs and fans inside them as well. Just a thought
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I've always had unease about my home wireless ADSL router. When I go away (weekend or longer), I disconnect it and lock it away, but if I go out for the evening, I don't bother. I realise that anyone who breaks in could easily plug in an ethernet cable and, via illegal activity, get me into trouble.

I'm looking into the possibility of a remote antenna which I could lead from a secure wall-mounted box.

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Thanks for all the responses guys. I have a couple ideas which way I might go. Unfortunately, the one router/switch case I would love to purchase doesn't come from a vendor the state uses.
    I appreciate the ideas though. I'm contemplating just buying some legos and some crazy glue and just build me a damn cabinet.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton