Thread: What new/future security technology will be important for today's corporations?

What new/future security technology will be important for today's corporations?

I'm wondering which security technologies that are new today or are coming in the near future that are important for an corporation. I'm trying to write about some of the most important ones like evolved IDS/IPS, NAC and protection from specially crafted trojans that are directed to a small group.

What do you think will be the next big security technology for today's corporations?

/icu#

Hi, and welcome to AO.

Just a few suggestions:

When you are talking corporation/institution you need to look at two aspects:

1. The network/servers
    2. The desktops

Also, I think that you need to more clearly define "new". That could be innovative or it could be recently adopted.

For example, virtual sandboxes, behavioural monitoring, content filtering, and registry protection have started to appear in the latest "security suites", but the actual concepts and supporting applications have been around for some time.

Hi, and welcome to AO.
    Thanks.

When you are talking corporation/institution you need to look at two aspects:

1. The network/servers
    2. The desktops
    Yes you are right. I'm trying to get an birds view on the entire environment.

Also, I think that you need to more clearly define "new". That could be innovative or it could be recently adopted.
    Most of the technology that corporations are going to implement in the coming years will most certainly be the ones that exist today. Considering the size and complexity of modern companies there are a natural delay between invention and real implementation.

For example, virtual sandboxes, behavioural monitoring, content filtering, and registry protection have started to appear in the latest "security suites", but the actual concepts and supporting applications have been around for some time.
    You list some interesting techniques. I think virtual sandboxing is the most promising of them. Your list contains mostly desktop oriented security what about networking/servers? What do your crystal ball say about them?

Hmmm,

Basically I don't have any real "cutting edge" technology predictions. I am afraid that this part of the World is an IT backwater.

I have certainly seen developments in mail servers and their security. In the old days it was just filtering out certain attachments and doing an AV scan. The security software seems to be getting much more sophisticated in scanning, presumably in an attempt to block embedded items and image based stuff.

One trend that I do see growing is better control of outgoing mail. That makes a lot of sense because if you get infected or owned and start spewing out spam and viruses, you will pretty soon find yourself on blacklists and your communications getting dropped. Obviously this has a negative effect on a corporation's business.

Another approach that seems to be gaining popularity is the (very) thin client and applications servers deployment. Users have very limited rights on their desktops and can only access the applications and servers that they are supposed to. Almost reverting to the old dumb terminal and mainframe scenario. [Dumb user + clever PC = trouble ]

I also think that biometric and token authentication will increase in popularity.

Just a few thoughts