Important! Before buying VISTA, read this...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Important! Before buying VISTA, read this...

Exclamation Important! Before buying VISTA, read this...

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/01..._upgrade_discs

It seems you wiil not be able to do a clean install of VISTA with the upgrade vers of VISTA.

Microsoft now requires end users to have a genuine Windows installation before allowing an upgrade to Vista from inside the activated copy of Windows XP or Windows 2000

Just to clear.....

To reformat using the upgrade version of VISTA, you first have to install XP, activate it and then install VISTA.

This is definately going to to be a major PITA for many.

Now consider this: You want to build an all new VISTA/DX10 sys while keeping you present XP sys intact?

Ok, First you have to install XP and activate it on the new sys.
    However you can't activate it because because it is all new hardware, So you can not install VISTA with the upgrade!
    The ony way around this is to buy the full version.

There is going to be many angry people when they find this out!:
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

AOs Resident Troll
    Well it wont be an issue for me....cause few of my existing machines have the hardware (above min requirements) to run vista...will probably be OEMs when and if we upgrade.

from the horses mouth...so to speak

Clean install

Upgrading to Windows Vista with a clean install means that you should use Windows Easy Transfer to automatically copy all your files and settings to an extra hard drive or other storage device, and then install Windows Vista. After the installation is complete, Windows Easy Transfer will reload your files and settings on your upgraded PC. You will then need to reinstall your applications.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx

dont believe everything you read

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Perhaps.......
    However, in the past, a WIN upgrade simply ment that you got a discount for having a previous version of the software an were still allow to use the previous vers.
    Now you can't use the previous vers.

Wether this is right or wriong people are buying the VISTA upgrade without knowing this and are in for a rude suprise. The new upgrade procedures should be made perfectly clear up front for the general public but, I undrestand it isn't.

Bottim line, the upgrade version of VISTA is not a money saver if it also cancels out your copy of XP and MS should make this perfectly clear so people can make an informed decision about what version to purchase.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Actually, this has been the case for the past 12 years, and Microsoft have been totally consistent throughout............just read the EULAs thoroughly.

Upgrading to Win95 and Win98 were nightmares.............generally resulting in totally unstable systems. Perversely, the Windows Milennium Edition upgrade worked just fine (shame about the OS ). All it did was check that you had a previous version then do a clean install. You had the option to save your old OS if you wanted to revert.

If you want to dual boot then you need to buy a full version of the second operating system. Remember that Windows wants the oldest version to be loaded first.

It is not so much that MS have changed the rules, as that they have enhanced their DRM to enforce the rules that were always in existence.

Obviously, there is third party software such as partition managers, that will circumvent some of the problems, as will virtual machine software.

The point still remains that MS give you a licence to use their software, and they make the rules. If you don't like them, then go boot linux?

People are just so used to doing things one way and now, without warning, the procedures have changed.

Personally, I was going to get the upgrade, However now, after learning this I will go for the full ver as I want to keep my XP valid and, perhaps more importantly, I dont want to have to install XPand activate it evey time I reformat VISTA.

BTW, I discussed this issue with co workers today who planed to get the VISTA "upgrade" After I explained the new VISTA upgrade routine, they are now getting the full version.

Obviously, the general public is not aware of this yet.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Well i am definately getting full version. I would rather pay a little more and get the full version than go through that.

Is vista stable etc?
    Are all drivers avaible?
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

AOs Resident Troll
    What...

I am very confused...

You want to buy an upgrade to Vista from XP...then still run XP???
    Why would you buy Vista then???

Or you want to buy an upgrade to XP and use that upgrade on another machine????

I only buy Server OSes retail...workstations OEM

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

I would put the legacy OS's into a VM, or download a preconfigured virtual machine running the leagacy OS. But that is me.

If you are going to brave Vista prior to a service pack I recommend making a back-up post install before you install any applications. I have had to go back to a prior configuration twice since December and having that snap-shot has saved me an enormous amount of time. Just make sure you valiadate your installation prior to taking the snapshot.

Also, be prepared for applications to not work. If you are going to 64bit expect your 32 bit applications to not be supported. Since we dont current support 64bit desktop/laptops in our invironment I have not tested this but it was mentioned by Mark Minasi and Kevin Rielly during the Fall 06 Windows Connections.

...what a nightmare. Can anybody REALLY figure out M$'s licensing
    anymore? I'm working for a small multinational outfit with plants in
    Germany, the US, Great Britain, and from what I see, NO ONE in our
    org has a handle on the licenses. They only thing they do is refer
    me to someone else. I'm constantly go from one person to another
    to another just to see if I can do a FrontPage install (for instance).

I spend more time determining the legality of an installation than doing it. It's ridiculous...
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

********** |ceWriterguy
    The OEM versions of Vista I've been installing on new-build machines for resale seem to be stable enough - however, Cable, I plan to wait until at least SP1 before I install it on my home machines, and recommend you do the same.

Also (source: PC World, either Nov 06 or Dec 06) there are several versions of Vista ranging in price from the $150 (home basic) that most will buy up to a whopping $350 for home users (home premium that one, the one I'll get because it has all the bells and whistles). The only OEM version I have in my shop is Home Basic - MS hasn't sent me anything bigger yet, nor do I have full-on versions for retail (we'll most likely get those about 4 days before the release date).
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!