Thread: Limit applications to only the logged on user (XP)?

Limit applications to only the logged on user (XP)?

Hi all,
    I'm about to build a new box which is going to run XP+SP2, and I'm wondering... if I set up different user accounts, is there a way to install an app so that that application will only load for a particular user account?
    What I want to do is to have one user account for all my day to day crap (Office, internet, skype, photoshop, whatever), and have another user account solely for multimedia work (audio and video editing).
    I'd like to keep them separate, as the MM work is very demanding on the system, and I don't need every piece of bloatware in existence loading up when it doesn't need to be there.
    Cheers,
    Bruce.
    Audio2U
    The home of quality podcasts

Just Another Geek
    If it's not started it's not loaded, if it's not loaded it's not hogging resources (except disk space).. Not sure what you want to do exactly..
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Hi SirDice,
    Well, I guess what I want to do is to make sure that some apps DON'T load under the second user profile.
    Crap like antivirus, and printer drivers, and stuff that just isn't needed when I'm editing multimedia stuff.
    Cheers,
    Bruce.
    Audio2U

Just Another Geek
    There's not a lot you can do about printer drivers AFAIK. Anti-virus are usually a system service, not much can be done there too.. Both are meant to start as soon as the machine boots regardless of the user.

A few things can be done.. Every user has a startup folder, there's also a system wide one. You can move things around in those. Also the run registry keys could be tweaked. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run every user has one. There's also one in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, that would be the systemwide one..
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Thanks SirDice.
    I should have thought of that for myself.
    I guess I was hoping there might have been some sort of desktop-level interaction that could have occurred, rather than having to get under the hood!
    But, yeah, that ought to do the trick.
    Cheers,
    Bruce.
    Audio2U