Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Direct e-mail to user's accounts

Direct e-mail to user's accounts

I have an XP Pro laptop connected to an ADSL router and my e-mail address is in the form <MyName@MyHostName.ISP.co.uk>. I receive spam into my Outlook 2003 inbox irrespective of what "MyName" is present so I know that everything's set up to make sure that the messages are filtered to me by "MyHostName".

I'd like to set e-mail up for family members such that I still receive my messages and:

Jack@MyHostName.ISP.co.uk goes to the Outlook inbox of Jack's user account and

Jill@MyHostName.ISP.co.uk goes to the Outlook inbox of Jill's user account.

I realise that some sort of filtering will be necessary at home (also to take out messages which don't start with "MyName", "Jack" or "Jill"). What's the best way to do this? I wonder if I'd have to have another PC attached to the network at home to act as a server (?) but would I need any special software? Could I do this with XP Pro?

I'm happy to google this but am not sure of "buzz" words to enter for the search.

Thank you.

AOs Resident Troll
    assuming you have different POP3 accounts at the ISP...you can then setup different Outlook profiles

Most ISP will allow up to 5 email accounts per dsl connection

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...471581033.aspx

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Check with your ISP as to how many Email addresses are included in your contract/deal. Most give you about 5, in which case you can have an account/address for jack, jill, bill, ted & joe if you want.

Once you have that sorted out, Open the control panel in windows
    Click on Mail
    Click on Show Profiles
    Click on Add
    Type in the persons name you are adding, then click Ok.
    Select "Add a new email account" then click Next.
    You will now be prompted for account details such as Email Address, User Name & Password....all of which will be provided by your ISP.

Once this is setup and you click on Outlook, it will ask you who you want to login in as Ie; Jack or Jill. When you make a selection it will then open that users Outlook Profile that contains only their messages.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

AOs Resident Troll
    and asuming you are running 2000\XP....you can setup different user profiles as well...

then setup the Outlook profile for that user. This will also keep the email seperate..

MLF

Perfect - many thanks. I am using XP Pro.

I was unaware that the ISP is likely to allow more than one POP3 account per connection. Ideally, I'd like the new addresses to be in the format <PersonsName@MyHostName.ISP.co.uk> but I suspect that they might be <Name@SecondHostName.ISP.co.uk>, <Name@ThirdHostName.ISP.co.uk> etc. The reason for preferring the former is that I wouldn't be restricted to 5 (or whatever the ISP limit might be) and I could have a separate address for husband, wife and each of 10 children (hypothetical number, I assure you!).

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    alakhiyar: great information. You just saved me alot of time and effort. Have also been wondering about this.

Thanks again.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

you're welcome cider
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I just wonder about an alternative approach. If I registered a domain, say www.MyDomain.com, would it be possible to have John@MyDomain.com, Jill@MyDomain.com and MyName@MyDomain.com sent to the appropriate inbox when the user logs on? I realise that registering a domain would incur a cost, but could I do what I want with XP or would I need any additional software?

AOs Resident Troll
    Depends on your ISP...that will host the mail....and how many accounts you will get with the service.

Some ISPs will use a PLESk login where you can set up and manage your own mail...

Then all you do is set each profile to pop the mail from user@mydomain.com

each profile will pop from the seperate accounts..keep all the mail seperate.

Some ISPs will let you manage your own mail...others will set it up for you...all you will need is the username, password and POP smtp servers from the ISP.

MLF

Thank you for the information. It looks like I have a bit of homework to do!