Thread: Server 2003 New Install!

Server 2003 New Install!

Hello all,

I am learning the basics of server 2003 (SBS 2003) and need some advice.

The Server has two network cards and will have 10 client connections (work stations and 2 printers attached.) The current OS of the clients is XP pro. The client needs are to have a central backup point and then a central point for running two business apps. The current network is a simple peer to peer file shareing set up with mapped network drives and no user logins.

The owner of the current network has decided to go ahead and upgrade all the XP pro computers to Vista Business.

Currently I have the server setup in my home network and have been using it as a LAB to prepare for the coming install and upgrades. For the most part everything has gone smoothly but I am running into some problems which to a user with my level of experience (A+ Net+) are baffleing.

So far I have been able to connect all the computers required to the server and have internet access from each of them. Thats the good.

The bad is that I have 3 domains on the server right now and only 1 of them is useful. I am also unable to map network drives or access files on any of the other computers.

Where should I go from this point forward to begin resolveing these issuses?
    Google and microsoft have been helpful but now the problem is a little bit more of my own creation. Can anyone suggest any good books or web reading that might help me?

AOs Resident Troll
    I dont understand the "I have 3 domains"

The SBS is a single domain environment...and does not trust others...

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Why NOT have the user accounts setup?

Otherwise, your shares and your directory/file permissions will have to be accessable by "everyone". That's not good.

It's fairly easy to setup users/groups and assign them appropriate permissions. Not doing it is just lazy.

So, you have joined the client machines to the domain?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

AOs Resident Troll
    The SBS has a setup guide that I would suggest you read....

And MSes site really has everything you need

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...s/default.mspx

I found the newsgroup very helpful also

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...ows.server.sbs

The thing with the SBS...there are several applications included...and if it is setup properly ...it is a great product...

If not setup properly.....it can be a beast to try and fix....

MLF

3 Domains on SBS2003 :(

Morgan,

The 3 Domains were created when I connected computers to the server which did not have accounts set up. They (the domains) appeared out of no where on the client machines and have since vanished?! The server is also showing only one domain which is the one I configured it for. Thats GOOD!

The domains where named xxxx (the correct one) xxxx.local and the last was xxxx.xxxx.local.

I'm becoming rather confused on how SBS2003 handles user accounts and logons.

Thanks for the links, i like to read those just before I go to bed so that when I have nightmares that computers are eating me the screens say something instead of just a blank windows login.

Phish - You are totally right, not having the user accounts set up is lazy and unsecure. I ran the built in wizard to set up user accounts on the server and when I would try to connect a user to the server using http://XXXX/connectcomputer

I was only able to connect using the administator login for the server its self.
    I know I'm confused as to how to administer the user accounts and log in's. How can I manage my accounts better?

AOs Resident Troll
    I am still confused.

When setting up SBS...I create all user accounts...then go to the machine I want to connect to the domain. I change the domain to the SBS domain...and it asks for an account\password that has permissions to add computer account to the domain....server admin works...or a domain admin (if you have on setup).

This will add the machine to the SBS...and then add the local accounts to the local machine groups....domain admin to the local admin group ...and domain users to the local user group (default).

Depending on the function of the machine you will then need to tweak...some machines I lock down and only allow a specific user\group to access....depends on your security model.

MLF

Yup...

Thats exactly how its done. I found out last night after about 4 more hours of banging my head on the keyboard.

The problem was that I was createing user accounts and computers at the same time and was confusing the two when I would try and connect a client to the domain. The reason I was only able to connect to the server with my admin log/pass was because I was not trying the switch user button to log in as a diffrent user... yup i feel really dumb now.

The 3 domain problem is gone and all the client computers have been connect to the server. The server has pushed software out to them.

Having that under control my goals for this first install are complete.