Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vista network problems

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar

Vista network problems

Hi all

I know vista driver and network problems is becomming a cliche however AO is the only web forum I use so help would be appreciated.

I did a clean install of Vista ultimate on a serperate harddrive justincase something went wrong.

No1. Vista doesnt seem to pick up my lan ... icon letting you connect to the internet. Device manager picks up network controller, I install the driver (my xp and 2k driver which seems to go through) and it goes through succesfully. However an exclamation mark still stands there in device manager and vista doesnt pickup lan therefore I cannot connect to the internet. [network cable unplugged] < however this works when booting into XP.

Same goes for Base system devices and an audio driver.

The internal modem I am using is a PCI ADSL modem. Maybe another driver will work but cant seem to find one.

As I cannot connect to the internet when booting into vista it is quite time consuming booting into Xp and vice versa trying to sort out drivers.

My board I have is: GA-K8N Pro-SLI ...

I know people have vista comming out their ears but any help will be appreciated. When I get this problem sorted out and am able to connect to the net with vista I will make posts on what I did and so on with certain apps/hardware in vista.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers

I found this on a forum somewhere. Precisly my problem.

I've recently installed RC2, but can't get my modem to work. It's a Conexant ADSL PCI modem... I can't find any specific Vista drivers, so have been playing with the XP drivers. THe drivers seem to take, but in XP the modem is setup via a control panel applet that is part of the driver package, but Vista won't let this applet run, so no way to setup the modem.

It's a generic card, so no manufacturer to ask for help. Can any of you help?

Modem is: Conexant PCI ADSL moden, however comes up as a network adapter. I have failed to get a driver for this. Please can you guys check your websites, it would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Cider; February 7th, 2007 at 11:05 PM.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

AOs Resident Troll
    You may want to check and see if the NIC and modem have a vista driver...

I remember upgrading from 2000 to XP and had issues with modem drivers specifically.

You may want to check on the Vista HCL
    http://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/

ond check with the hardware vendor....

I think Vista has a tool you can run to check what software\hardware you have and what will need upgrading.....cant remeber what its called right now.

Good luck

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Hi there Cider,

You may not be aware of it but Conexant don't actually make modems, they just make the chipsets that go in them, which they sell to third parties.

There are a few generic drivers on their support site, but nothing for Vista.

I have one that is badged "Mercury" (Kobian) and I cannot find a Vista driver for that either.

I would say it is time you bought another one...........you might try logging in as administrator and seeing if you can run the setup from within Control Panel?

Yes nihil: I found that out yesterday ... well that is a nice waste of money .

Any suggestions what modem I should go for. Ive always used an internal one and never a router or external ... any comments.

Also what do u mean run the setup with control panel? Add new hardware?

Thanks you for both replies.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Hi Cider,

1. Type of modem?

Back in the days of 56.6 dial-up I invariably used internal modems because they were cheaper. I do have a couple of external ones that I used for diagnostic purposes, but that was the only real reason.

I have only ever used external USB ones for ADSL. I like them because you can see the lights flashing for trouble shooting, they are portable and they run cooler (not really an issue over here )

The really important issue here is that it supports Vista?

2. I got the impression that your current modem had set up like mine. It is a Conexant Access Runner USB ADSL. There are two icons on the desktop, one for the settings and one to make the connection. If you go into the Vista Control Panel there may be another means of launching the settings application?

Another thought is to check that there is nothing in your Vista settings that is blocking scripts (Java etc.)

Well after running this prgram: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...r/default.mspx

The attachment came up as follows Maybe I should of done it before I decided to upgrade ...

Anyway thanks for the help.

Nihil: I will give that a bash now, last try otherwise its time for a USB modem ...

Arg, attachment doesnt show. Anyway it just gave an issue with the modem ...
    Last edited by Cider; February 8th, 2007 at 10:59 AM.
    Albert Einstein

Just Another Geek
    I've got an external ADSL modem (Thompson Speedtouch), connects to my computer using a regular NIC and network cable. Always works..
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Yip: I just have to find a driver for my internal one, until then I cannot use Vista. If any1 finds one, please post and let me know.
    Albert Einstein

AOs Resident Troll
    I had the top of the line Courier modem...that would never work with XP...so my sugeestion to you is...go buy a new one...

It really is that simple

If you use unsupported hardware you run the risk of having an unstable install

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Hi Morgana~ normally I would agree with what you have just said, but I have just had a look around UK component suppliers and I didn't see a single Vista approved ADSL modem for sale

I guess that the OEMs must have monopolised them for the launch? OK, I didn't try any wholesale contacts and try to buy in bulk, I was just curious as to how easy it would be for the ordinary guy in the street.

I got a new modem from my ISP (British Telecom) a couple of weeks back, so I had a look, and discovered that it only supports as far as XP!!!

I now have a better understanding of our wildlife programmes on TV............why all the penguins jostle on the iceflow until one gets pushed in....................then they know if there is a hungry killer whale down there? Those who jump in straight away have a very good chance of getting eaten

Obviously, my references to killer whales and penguins should not be misinterpreted as having anything to do with Windows and Linux