Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introducing Windows Vienna >> Vista successor in 2 years

Banned

Wink Introducing Windows Vienna >> Vista successor in 2 years

how good is that....MS hasn't even released Vista yet but they've already got a replacement around the corner lol.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,12...n/article.html

Microsoft: Vista Follow-up Likely in 2009
    Microsoft is now drawing up plans to deliver its follow-up client operating system by the end of 2009, according to a company executive.
    Robert McMillan, IDG News Service
    Friday, February 09, 2007 12:00 PM PST

With Vista just out the door, Microsoft Corp. is now drawing up plans to deliver its follow-up client operating system by the end of 2009, according to the executive in charge of building the product's core components.

That would be a much faster turn-around than Vista, which shipped more than five years after Windows XP, but Vista was exceptional, said Ben Fathi, corporate vice president of development with Microsoft's Windows Core Operating System Division this week at the RSA Conference in San Francisco.

Microsoft originally planned for its XP follow-up to include a number of radical changes to Windows, including a new file system and a reinvented user interface, but after the company's products were hit by widespread worm outbreaks in 2003, Microsoft redirected almost its entire engineering effort to locking down Windows with the XP Service Pack 2 release.

"We put Longhorn on the back burner for awhile," Fathi said. "Then when we came back to it, we realized that there were incremental things that we wanted to do, and significant improvements that we wanted to make in Vista that we couldn't deliver in one release."

Vista shipped about two-and-a-half years after XP SP 2, and Vista's follow-up is expected to take about the same amount of time, according to Fathi. "You can think roughly two, two-and-a-half years is a reasonable time frame that our partners can depend on and can work with," he said. "That's a good time frame for refresh."

That time line would put Microsoft's next client operating system out by the end of 2009.

Last year, Microsoft said that the code name for this Vista follow-up is Vienna, but Fathi said he could not disclose the current name. "We've been told not to use it publicly," he said.

So what will be the coolest new feature in Vienna?

According to Fathi, that's still being worked out. "We're going to look at a fundamental piece of enabling technology. Maybe its hypervisors, I don't know what it is," he said. "Maybe it's a new user interface paradigm for consumers."

"It's too early for me to talk about it," he added. "But over the next few months I think you're going to start hearing more and more."

So what will be the coolest new feature in Vienna?
    Probably all the stuff that was supposed to be in vista but was removed?

What did they cancel out of Vista?
    I remember a few... WinFS, NGSCB, Monad (MSH)
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I'll go with Phish~ on this.............. just like Win98 was really what Win95 should have been, and 98SE was a refinement? This will just be what Vista should have been in the first place............ hey!

Maybe they will have some decent drivers by the arse end of 2009

Comes with special lederhosen theme, no doubt.

Joe~, whatever you do, don't drink the bottle of wine that comes with it

Austrian wine got banned here because of the ethylene glycol content........... that's the stuff used as a coolant in the engines of WWII combat aircraft..............

Prost

Quote Originally Posted by phishphreek80
    Probably all the stuff that was supposed to be in vista but was removed?

What did they cancel out of Vista?
    I remember a few... WinFS, NGSCB, Monad (MSH)
    Monad was the code name... The official release name was Windows PowerShell. It's available here http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...l/default.mspx and runs on Vista, XP and Server 2003.

Nih, I continued to drink Chilean wine during the arsenic scare a couple decades back. God hates a coward!

Joe, now you tell me.............. I wasn't even aware of that............. and I have drunk gallons of the stuff

HTRegz: I know they released the PoSH or power shell. They just didn't include it with Vista, as originally planned. I was just trying to think of features that they pulled.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc
    Comes with special lederhosen theme, no doubt.
    Vienna isn't in Germany Joe