Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rant about routers

Blast From the Past

rant about routers

ok, let me preface by stating this post is written by the hand of rage and anger

How come companys can get away with making shitty products.
    My linksys wrt54G has been a NIGHTMARE

my dlink POS wasnt much better

my belkin never worked right from day 1 out of the box

my linksys.. every month i had to reset the bastard because it did not retain an IP from comcast, ive tried 2 wrt54g's and i ran into the same problem.. thought it was comcast.. they claim no responsibility... eventually my linksys just stopped asigning IPs all together...

bought a dlink... range BLOWS.. i can piss farther than it throws a wireless signal....took 3 tries for it to take the wireless security settings... and now it will drop my connection every 3 min.. so far it has done it twice writing this post.. i see "cable unplugged" in the bottom cornor then it comes back after i disable and re-enable my network adapter.. i stood out in my garage where the router is.. when it drops the entire thing locks up.. all lights come on and stay there... then it blacks out.. and boots back up

the belkin never really worked from the get go... shitty range... DMZ settings did absolutely nothing. port fowarding did nothing... if i needed to open up a port i had to make a virtual server, even that didnt work half the time... every now and then it would randomly lock up.. have to go out and cycle the router and modem for it to get an IP again

what the hell is wrong with routers.. are they seriously that cheep that they do not function for more than a year? the longest ive had a router is about 7 months then i have to buy a new one

anyone else have problems like this with home networking?!
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

Darn, hexadecimal, this sure isn't funny, but you had me smiling here, kind of like listening to the voices inside my own head about wireless .....
    But, anyway, to let you know you have company, i have 4 boxes on wireless, strung all over the house, most have some flavor of MS but a couple have Linux flavors changing boxes somewhat regularly for the same problems you discuss.
    Seems that if the box is hooked to the router with an RJ45 it works pretty good and holds the values. But on wireless, all mine are Linksys (Comcast) 802.11g USB except one that is Linksys PCI 802.11b. Thats the one I can't get Fedora *or* SUSE to detect. So anyway, last week i phoned in to the SUSE store and ordered the 10.2 boxed set (w/manual) for sixty bucks, it comes with a year of tele support after you get it running.
    So anyway, today i get this return (from an enquiry a week ago, the techies have been on vacation) phone call from Novell and they want to help me get 10.1 onto the wireless but i was trying to put a new 64bit box and couldn't even sit down at the present SUSE box today, so thanked him for the return call and said i'd just wait until 10.2 got here. He said that 10.2 "fixed a lot" of issues they had with 10.1, and would be glad to work with me to get 10.2 online even though they really didn't work a lot with wireless. (probably because Linux is usually wanted for servers and they are hard-wired not usually wireless). He said if i'd hook up a hard link to the router first off, the OS might set itself but if it didn't they'd be happy to work with me on the wireless. Oh, and he said if i'd pop up to the HCL list at ...linux-something/HCL (hardware compatibility list) there were some brands that people had tried and worked, but it was not a list approved by SUSE.
    So anyway, thanks for the smile. Kind of sounded like an echo somewhere back in the deeper parts of my grey matter..... :-)

(edit, forgot to mention) Last week i took a hardware 'update' from MS that came from LinkSys. Shouldn't a done that. It dropped my transfer rate (system internal) from 54mb/s down to something like 3mb/s. That warmed me right up too. Funny part though, checking the online speed it was about where cable should be. Still wish i'd have not 'updated' my Linksys on that box. At least it didn't affect the other boxes. Am waiting on this new box to get the full version (not the trial/beta/etc version) of 802.11n. Until then i'll just use one of the old 802.11g probably the USB version as it seems that works better than the PCI card.
    Last edited by The Old Man; February 13th, 2007 at 04:15 AM.

You get what you pay for. I've been working with a Cisco 806 and Cisco 831 for years. I always had HORRIBLE experience with the other cheap "routers". I quickly overloaded them and they hang. (use up all the memory by doing too much, p2p, torrent, surfing, etc all at once)

I have a WRT54GP2 (with the voip ports) wireless router just for my Pocket PC and my girl's laptop. Those two devices never overload it. All my other traffic goes through my Cisco 831. The 831 has more than enough resources to handle all my activity.

I actually don't mind the wrt54g routers. They just don't have a lot of resources. Put dd-wrt on them and they make a nice little gateway. Up until a couple weeks ago, I had two of them chained with wds and the coverage was great. I found that I didn't really need that in my apt and put them in a box for when I need more coverage. The little voip one works fine.

I had ok experience with netgear. Hated dlink and belkin.

If you're spending $50-100 on each router and you've gone through that many... seriously look into getting a Cisco 871. They're a bit more up front... but after you set it up... it's good to go. I maxed out my 831 with memory and flash and would LOVE to get 871... however, I have other things I need to buy. The SDM makes it very easy to configure and has all kinds of cool stuff on it. Firewall, IPS, VPN, etc.
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6200/index.html

Take a look at the spec sheet. It's well worth it and I wouldn't think twice about getting another one.

The Old Man: Can't you just do a driver rollback or system restore?
    Last edited by phishphreek; February 13th, 2007 at 04:25 AM.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Blast From the Past
    I was looking into building a Smoothwall box and sticking 2 linksys or cisco APs in my house...

what is the price of that cisco 871 though... im drooling and my tax return is on the way

A little off subject, but has anyone ever bought a Belkin product and liked it. I ask because I have tried a few different product and had the same experience every time. If it works out of the box it will be dead within a weak. The last two thing I tried where a USB KVM switch and a cell phone charger. The KVM worked for an hour and the charger messed up my phone.
    Mad Beaver

We have a linksys router at our apartment and every week or so we have to reset it because it freezes up. Cheap routers and especially Wireless routers never work the way they should.

I always told my friends that routers(<$100) are as reliable as network printers.
    The command completed successfully.

\"They drew first blood not me.\"

Quote Originally Posted by MadBeaver
    A little off subject, but has anyone ever bought a Belkin product and liked it. I ask because I have tried a few different product and had the same experience every time. If it works out of the box it will be dead within a weak. The last two thing I tried where a USB KVM switch and a cell phone charger. The KVM worked for an hour and the charger messed up my phone.
    I've been using Belkin KVM switches for several years. I'll admit that the last one I bought was probably 4 years ago... but all of them are working fine.

Other than that, I think I've used some Belkin patch cables. It's kind of hard to screw those up?

Oh, I also use some of their half racks (2 posts) for SOHO sites. Again, kind of hard to screw those up?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Quote Originally Posted by br_fusion
    We have a linksys router at our apartment and every week or so we have to reset it because it freezes up. Cheap routers and especially Wireless routers never work the way they should.

I always told my friends that routers(<$100) are as reliable as network printers.
    If you load the dd-wrt firmware on it, you can schedule a cron job to reboot it every x hours or at a specific time. I always rebooted it around 4:30pm because I knew the GF would be getting home around 5:00 and would likely be getting on her laptop shortly after. Seemed to work out ok. On occasion, she'd have to reboot it manually on the weekend.

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    I have 2 D-Link routers for home use, the 624S & 634M. The 634M just died on me (hardware issue) and the 624S is a work horse with an attitude problem. It seems like D-Link products vary on quality and not just with different routers.

I have worked with the DI784 (which is now discontinued) and my first purchase worked great under heavy stress loads (from multiple computers) for over 2 years with very few reboots. And then, I purchased another one that simply stopped working shortly thereafter with virtually no stress loads (only one computer was using it).

The only lesson I learned is that you take a gamble every time you buy something and routers are no exception. c'est la vie.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

Blast From the Past
    I am looking at that cisco for sure.

for now im going to build a smoothwall router and get a cisco wireless AP

then il get that cisco router... and il make the smoothwall router my gaming router for lans... we kill routers 9 times a night at lan parties