Thread: How to hide IP and encryt data easily?

Banned

How to hide IP and encryt data easily?

Is there an easy way to hide my ip address and encrypt data at the same time?
    I find that even I use anonymous proxy server, my neighbors can still figure out what website I have visited !!!
    The problem is that the connection between my computer and the proxy server is not anonymous and not secure.
    Is there an easy (and free) solution ?
    Thanks.

Why can your neighbors see your internet traffic? Are you using wireless or are you leeching someone elses connection?

If it is your own, secure it with wpa. You should also change the admin password on the wireless router. That is a minimum. You can also setup access controls and only allow your PC's MAC addresses and deny all others.

You should really fix the original problem and you won't need encrypted proxy services.

Look into Tor for a decent anonymous network.
    http://tor.eff.org/
    Last edited by phishphreek; February 13th, 2007 at 05:32 AM.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Just Another Geek
    Being anonymous on the Internet is turning into an urban legend these days..

Not even Tor can guarantee your anonymity..
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

OK, maybe I am being a little picky here, but this does not sound like a "Web Security" issue? My guess that it is either Wireless Security or Network Security or maybe a bit of both.

I have three questions:

1. Is this your own wireless connection?
    2. Do you share any resources with your neighbours (router etc.)?
    3. Is your computer physically secure, or could your neighbours access it?

If your neighbours know your surfing activities and you are using an anonymous proxy, I would be inclined to agree that the problem is almost certainly your side of the proxy.

I can see three obvious possibilities:

1. You are running insecure wireless connections and your traffic is being sniffed.
    2. You are sharing a resource and your activities are being monitored there.
    3. You have spyware on your local system that is monitoring you and reporting back.

Can you please give us more information about what type of setup you have and how you connect to the internet?

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Well, if the data is encrypted - why would it matter if someone can see your IP?
    I find that even I use anonymous proxy server, my neighbors can still figure out what website I have visited !!!
    Is this anonymous proxy server in your neighbor's basment?

My gut feeling tells me you're doing something that you shouldn't be. You need to elaborate on this situation for me to believe otherwise.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    I would recommend using TOR aswell.

Disable cookies before configuring your web browser to work with an *anonymous proxy server.*

Feb 13 10:43:55.312 [notice] Tor v0.1.1.22. This is experimental software. Do not rely on it for strong anonymity.
    Feb 13 10:43:55.390 [notice] Initialized libevent version 1.1a+imweasel using me
    thod win32. Good.
    Feb 13 10:43:55.390 [notice] connection_create_listener(): Opening Socks listene
    r on 127.0.0.1:9050
    Feb 13 10:43:55.531 [notice] connection_create_listener(): Opening Control liste
    ner on 127.0.0.1:9051
    Feb 13 10:44:03.890 [notice] I learned some more directory information, but not
    enough to build a circuit.
    Feb 13 10:44:04.125 [notice] We now have enough directory information to build c
    ircuits.
    Feb 13 10:44:09.671 [notice] Tor has successfully opened a circuit. Looks like client functionality is working.
    Heres TOR from one of my boxes.

Try Janus VM:

http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/392

It's a virtual VPN that uses Tor and also encrypts the data.
    It WILL slow your surfing down though.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by phishphreek80
    Why can your neighbors see your internet traffic? Are you using wireless or are you leeching someone elses connection?

http://tor.eff.org/
    I connect to Internet through Ethernet.
    One of my partner uses Windows XP build-in Internet sharing function to share the Internet to all of us.
    So, all my connections must route to his computer before go to the Internet.
    I don't know why he can tell what URL I have visited.
    May be his computer has some program to record all outgoing traffic ?

anti_mary was not legit. spammer.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Awwwww! Phish~,

And there was I ready for the "double tap" spam...............

I was going to suggest that the solution was to nuke China............ don't they realise that moderators have more than a colt wheel gun and can see ISPs?

Incidentally, you have to buy your own duster and high heeled boots around here

I am still waiting on the spurs