Exchange Server 2000 Help

Thread: Exchange Server 2000 Help

Did someone said Pizza :) FanacooL's Avatar

Exchange Server 2000 Help

Dear All,
    I need a little help in exchange server 2000, here's the scenario. Our company abc.com head office is at a location where exchange server is running. We used to download emails directly via outlook using POP3 connection, but now the company has asked us to configure exchange server at our end so that we can manage local emails and save our bandwidth. Now the issue is i am able to send email to all the other domains but there are lots of users on abc.com whose ids are not configured in my exchange and whenever i try to send email to them the mail get get bounced back returning the message "User doesn't exist" .

How can i send email to users that are not in my exchange but they are on the same domain that i have configured locally at my end.
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

AOs Resident Troll
    So if they are not on your server...where do they get thier mail from....

Is it forwarded to another server??

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Did someone said Pizza :) FanacooL's Avatar
    Yes they are not on my server, actullay there server is the main server from where all the users get emails.

I just wanted to know if abc.com is configured in my exchange and user test2@abc.com is not configured in my exchange its rather cited at our main exchange server how can i send emails...... Like MDaemon you can forward the unknown local users email to a host is there a way i can set the exchange to check if user is available in the server list route the mail locally otherwise send it to a host (our main server).......
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

You may find information here to help in your deployment. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...y/default.mspx
    Exchange especially with multiple servers can get a bit complicated, we would need more information on your domain structure to assist you.

Good luck!

Well the simple answer is that you can't do what you are trying to do.

If you want to have two different exchange servers with the same domain name that are not in the same organization you need a mail relay agent of some type, and you need to break the machines into subdomains.

For instance, at my company we probably have 5 major email systems right now.. But externally to our network anybody emailing our users all use handle@company.com.

But, what happens is that we have a relay host sitting in our DMZ. That relay host has a complete directory of every email address in our company. So when an email comes in for mohaughn@company.com the relay host knows that my email address is really mohaughn@org1.company.com. Make sense?

Then what we do is we replicate our directories between the different organizations. So in org2.company.com active directory there is a custom recipient for mohaughn. The email address of that custom recipient is mohaughn@org1.company.com

So, to repeat. If your exchange server is company.com and you have a completely different exchange organization that is also company.com it won't work. Atleast not without doing some directory replication between the organizations and putting a relay agent in.