Thread: router backup question

router backup question

I don't know if this is exactly a security question but its about routers. My problem is that i am using expect script to back up routing configurations. When i run the script the backup works fine until i t hits the last command quit or exit. For some reason it is impossible to terminate connection. I googled for this a lot and have not found a solution especially since some scripts will run and some other will not which is weird.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse." ~ Henry Ford

Is this a cisco router we're backing up?

Does it give any error? or it just sits there with the connection open?
    =

What kind of router are you using?

If it's a Cisco router you can save the config to text files if you are in by console, or you can save your configs to a TFTP server on the network(recommended).

It's a mix of Cisco and Juniper equipment. Like i said everything works in a script till the point of exit ... I created separate scripts for each device thinking that this would solve the problem but it's still there. I looked on the web and what seems to be happening is that EOF is received before the last command so i added a few sleep statements as it was suggested but it did not work. There is almost no rule it if i execute script by hand they will run on some days on the others they would just stop at some random place. It's very frustrating.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse." ~ Henry Ford