No internet connection
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No internet connection

It's a gas!

No internet connection

I cant browse any sites either by name or ip. All my ip settings are correct. Im able to ping the default gateway and www.google.com. Im also unable to connect to my exchange server to retrieve email. The laptop is running xp pro and is on a domain. Using IE7 but have tried firefox with same results. All other machines on the domain using the same gateway are able to browse fine. Any ideas?

Bad NIC
    Port disabled in switch room
    Needs new IP but it wont release it
    Just some thoughts off the top of my head
    Mad Beaver

It's a gas!
    Im able to ping websites so your suggestions dont really make sense. Im also able to connect to the router config page using a browser.

Sorry I didn't read the it right I thought you said you couldn't. My bad
    Mad Beaver

AOs Resident Troll
    Have you run hijack this???

recently infected with something???

Anything in the event viewer??

Have an av or firewall running..???

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Can you ping your DNS?
    Mad Beaver

I've seen similar problems with AV firewalls like Symantic Client Security/ Symantic Internet Security, MCAFEE Firewall. The user is prompted too allow/block communication with that specific application (IE or FF) and they choose block because they're too click happy and don't read. This normally happens after an update... windows patch for IE or update to FF. The firewall detects a change in the program and has to recreate the rule.

Did you check to see that the browser communication was setup right? I've seen a case where the user checked off to use a proxy but didn't specify one. I've also seen where they've unchecked to use a proxy when a proxy was needed. We set ours up in group policy so they can't change that...

Could be blocked at your company firewall? A simple test for that would be to telnet to any website on port 80, etc. This would still allow you to ping/resolve but not connect.

MadBeaver: It would appear that all communication is working fine except for browsing. He is able to ping and resolve google.com and connect to the exchange server.
    Last edited by phishphreek; February 16th, 2007 at 02:40 PM.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

It's a gas!
    Everything is clean. Nothing in event viewer. Have disabled firewall but still same. Have also tried restoring to a previous restore point but still same.

What AV/Firewall are you using on the client? I've had problems after a program update with Symantec Internet Security. The symantec proxy service got screwed somewhere in the install. Uninstall/reinstall fixed it.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Sounds like a proxy or gateway issue. You sure you don't NEED a proxy to surf?
    Check one of the other computers that works fine to see if they're using a proxy.

We've got similar issues at work. Once or twice a week, I've got to re-image a
    W2K unit. The image is probably a year old now and was made when we had an
    ISA server (gone now), complete with a proxy. After re-imaging, I've got to go
    in and run the network wizard to get port 80 connected.

Speaking of which, try running "New Network Connection" in "Networking" in the "Control Panel". Might be worth a shot.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers