Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can't hear anything

I can't hear anything

I turned on my computer today and I can't hear anything. simple as that. It was working yesterday, but not today. Today i tried to plug my sis' speakers into my computer cause she said it didn't work and i wanted to have a look see. The speakers did not work but then I checked and my usb headset doesn't work either.

and i already tried getting the latest drivers and reinstalling them
    Any ideas?

I am sure you have already checked... but just in case you haven't, you might open up your sound properties and make sure your sound is not just muted...
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

it is not muted

Just making sure ... is it onboard sound, or a card? If it is a PCI card, you might check that it is still seated well in the board... just a thought
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    If you go into system properties and the device manager are there any disabled or devices that show errors?

My Computer
    View System Info
    Hardware
    Device Manager
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

no onboard card and no errors

in addition to making sure it's not muted, make sure that wav volume is up (master vol wont mean a blasted thing if everything else is turned down) and that you dont have some other audio app running that's stealing priority from whatever else you have going. Also check the sound cards properties in device manager to make sure nothing screwed up the drivers.
    Y Gwir Yn Erbyn Byd

Hi Tonayie, just had the exact same problem, I think...........like nothing works?..... CD, DVD, even the sound management bit in <control panel>?

Is this the same with you?

I need to know what gives you sound.......... is it an onboard AC97 chipset?

If so, who is the maker?.............. I am also interested in what OS you are running.

My initial thoughts are that your chipset or soundcard management software has become corrupted............. you cannot solve that from within Windows or BIOS

Please let me know as there are two quite different solutions

You say you tried reinstalling the newest drivers. It would be helpful to be more accurate in the process and first UNINSTALL the drivers. Reboot, THEN reinstall. Make sure you have the right ones.

There is usually a BIOS setting for onboard motherboard audio. Disable and then Enable it in two separate reboots. Still no go? Flash the BIOS with a jumper or take the CMOS battery out for 1.5min.

One thing that I've always found helpful in situations like these is going into Device Manager -> Computer -> ACPI Uniprocessor PC -> Update Driver -> Standard PC. It'll uninstall/reinstall everything hardware-related.

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    Hi Tonayie, just had the exact same problem, I think...........like nothing works?..... CD, DVD, even the sound management bit in <control panel>?

Is this the same with you?

I need to know what gives you sound.......... is it an onboard AC97 chipset?

If so, who is the maker?.............. I am also interested in what OS you are running.

My initial thoughts are that your chipset or soundcard management software has become corrupted............. you cannot solve that from within Windows or BIOS

Please let me know as there are two quite different solutions

No, no Exact same problem, any ideas?
    Yes im running onboard AC97 chipset (not sure who the maker is - Its a compaq presario sr1210nx desktop pc, if it helps)
    my computer came with xp home edition but now im running xp pro sp2
    Last edited by Tonayie; February 17th, 2007 at 11:06 PM.