Thread: Wireless in VMware

Wireless in VMware

I have successfully downloaded and run linux in VMware, and I'm quite impressed. The only problem is that My computer uses a wireless connection, and I don't know how to edit the configuration file to see the wireless card. Has anyone done this and is this common to do with VMware?

You shouldn't have to setup the network card in linux for wireless. You just bridge the connection of the host. VMWare doesn't care if it is wireless or wired. Which version of linux did you install in VMWare. You can config the network card via cli, or use the utlity provided by the distro. The utility will change depending on which distro you're running.

However, as far as I know, you can't utilize security tools in vmware that require wireless cards. I might be wrong on this. I recall HTRegz pointing me to something about how to do it or a work around... but I just have linux directly on my laptop and didn't need to do it.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

First off, my host OS is windows, because I can't get a linux boot CD to work. I downloaded the Backtrack appliance (and i don't think its actually 'installed', I just ran the appliance) for VMware and tried to go online, and it wouldn't work. I think it is looking at my actual ethernet connection (which is connected to nothing) instead of the Wireless card. I'm not sure how to change the configuration file to use the wireless card though.

Just Another Geek
    Take a look at the VMWare settings of that virtual machine. It probably picked the wrong interface. On a side note, since VMWare will treat your wireless card as a regular ethernetcard you cannot use any of the wifitools on backtrack.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I use BackTrack in VMplayer rather frequently. The emulator sees my
    wireless card, typically "ath0" in linux, as "eth0". Try running ifconfig
    and dhcpcd on "eth0" rather than "ath0". As SirDice suggests, the interface
    changes under emulation. Fwiw.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

I recall HTRegz pointing me to something about how to do it or a work around...
    Does anyone know how to get this to work? BTW Thanks brokencrow, i have the internet working in it, i just need it to see that its wireless.

Since I was messaged about this thread... I'll respond.

VMWare maps any valid network interface to a wired, physical connection... What phish is talking about was probably a tweak I used in the past on VMWare 4 under Linux to use a wireless card because it couldn't do it..

With VMWare 5.5 using a wireless card is no problem (subsequently Player and Server should be the same)... However it will be a wired card....

The possibility exists that you could use a USB Card (in theory)... Since VMWare has direct access to the USB devices and if you could get the proper network driver... it *should* work...

That would be the only real option though.

ok, thanks for the help everyone, I have a PCI card, so thats not happening...