Internet-problem with Zonealarm Pro

Thread: Internet-problem with Zonealarm Pro

Internet-problem with Zonealarm Pro

I am unsure if this is a security issue, a networking issue, or what.

For years I have been listening to austinriffs.com. One clicks on "To The Shows" which takes you to a list of the shows and then one clicks on a show. At this point a blue "Apple Quicktime logo thingy" shows up then turns into a typical little music slider bar.

But recently instead of playing the approximately one hour show, the slider moves across very quickly (plays with sound for 3 or 4 seconds) then stops and no more sound.

I recently installed Zonealarm Pro and I think that the problem is related. I have ZA, Norton AV, and Firefox NoScript extension. I have attempted to give that URL full clearance in each one of these. What is perplexing is that it plays at all even if for only a few seconds. I would think that it would either play normally or not at all.

What gives?

I'm using FF2.0.0.1 with no script and I can get to it. I let it play for about a min or so before closing it out. I saw that it downloaded about 80% of it or so.

Have you tried looking in the norton or zone alarm logs to see if it is blocking it?

Also, have you tried to download the mp3 (right click/save as) and play it after it's already been downloaded to your harddrive? How about playing it in a different media player?
    Last edited by phishphreek; February 18th, 2007 at 12:58 AM.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I have left them even overnight with no change.

Have only had a little experience looking at logs. This almost brings up another question. My ZA is set to log both events and program alerts, but when I click on the Log Viewer tab, it does not show a single log.

Exactly the same with NAV-no logs.

I do not have a problem with mp3's. Can do, but I like to listen to streaming also and just cannot understand why this is suddenly a problem, and especially the "only playing a few seconds" bit.

This is not technically "streaming" audio. It is downloading the mp3 to cache/temporary files and playing it from there. It just plays immediately in your browser using quicktime for convenience. If you didn't have quicktime installed, it would ask you to save the file.

A good example of streaming audio would be shoutcast. It streams the audio to your player and plays. However, it is not normally stored or cached on the machine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streaming_media

Not sure about your logs. I installed ZA (free) years ago but that was the last time I used it. NAV should have scan history logs by default.

Did you try the right click and save as? Then play it from the hard drive?
    Last edited by phishphreek; February 18th, 2007 at 01:20 AM.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

When I right click, for example on one of the shows in the austinriffs.com mentioned above, I do not get an option to save as. The closest thing is "save link as" and this will have the same result as just clicking on the link there.

How can I add a "save as" option to my right click?

Use the "save link as" and it should give you an option to save it to your hard drive.