Thread: routing issues

Hybrid View

routing issues

so i have a dedicated firewall up connected to my internet. on the inside i have subnet 192.168.0.0 with the firewall as a dchp server and then my home router using the firewall as a gateway. the home network subnet is 192.168.1.0 so just in case your still not following

internet --> dedicated firewall (.0.1) --> (.0.200) home router (.1.2) --> home computers (.1.x)

i can get internet, and i had some people test it and port forwarding works so that people can access the server on my home network, but when im logged into the server, i cant ping anything inside my homenetwork. also, when i try to access my server as if from an outside host (using my external ip) i get timeouts. whats up? i have no idea on this one

what ive tried:
    taking down my router firewall
    Code:
    route add -net 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 dev eth0
    Code:
    route add -net 192.168.1.0 gw 192.168.0.200 netmask 255.255.255.0 dev eth0
    and thats about it... so any help would be greatly appreciated
    if God was willing to live all out for us, why aren't we willing to live all out for Him? God bless,
    Godsrock37
    my home my forum

let me know if this makes any sense, but i put a crossover cable instead of a patch cable in between the firewall and my home router and it seems to work now... i dont know why but maybe someone can explain it to me
    if God was willing to live all out for us, why aren't we willing to live all out for Him? God bless,
    Godsrock37
    my home my forum

It looks like the subnet is the netmask actually: 255.255.255.0

What I'm guessing is happening here is you've got a firewall (the Smoothwall?) up in the "front", then the router behind that. If the DHCP server is enabled on both the firewall and the router, you have in effect a LAN (192.168.1.0) within a LAN (192.168.0.0). Is your router is pulling an IP address from the firewall, then in turn assigning IP addresses to your home network? You've got a couple of layers of networks in there. Some of your complications are probably coming from that.

Try giving your router a static IP address from the same range as the firewall (say 192.168.0.254), then disabling DHCP on your router and plugging it up to the firewall via a LAN port instead of the WAN port (or maybe stick with the crossover on the WAN port). That will in effect turn your router into a switch, I believe (that, or go buy a switch). If the Smoothwall's DHCP server is enabled, then the home PC's should start pulling a 192.168.0.0 address. I'm not sure what effect the crossover cable has, except to have turned the WAN port into a LAN port.

K.I.S.S.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    The crossover cable makes sense if you are old enough to remember RS232 communication, you are connecting 2 DTEs together.

A computer is a DCE (digital computing equipment)
    A modem, printer, hub is DTE (digital terminal equipment)

In a straight thru cable you connect a DCE to a DTE, the DTE is wired that the transmit leads attach to its receive ports.

Any time that you connect a DCE to DCE or a DTE to DTE the cable had to switch xmit and rcv. (crossover cable)

The $5 netgear hub I bought has a "smart" port system that does the switching internally, never need crossover cables.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot