Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tracking Computers

Tracking Computers

A search engine salesman told me that his company can determine the location of a user by their IP address. Is this true? The only way I know of is by writing code (such as in PHP) that captures the IP address and then runs a trace, but as far as I know, it will only take you to the ISP, not to the actual computer.

I was also told entering text in any HTML form or in any forum could be traced back to the actual computer that entered it. Is this possible?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

If the salesman said it, it must be true.
    Mad Beaver

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    A search engine salesman told me that his company can determine the location of a user by their IP address. Is this true?
    Not the "physical address" (meaning not pin-point to someones house no) he is a sales men alright. Hes selling you a story

it will only take you to the ISP, not to the actual computer.
    Exactly, what if they used a proxy server? This would assist a little bit.
    Also, a lot of people *register accounts* with their ISPs with "P.O. Boxes" instead of giving them there real physical address. It's fairly cheap for a P.O Box.

AOs Resident Troll
    I have heard about tracking laptops with GPS chips... and maybe a MAC addy...as for tracking exact location from an IP...uummmmmmm no...cause I could phone long distance to europe and connect to an ISP there...

Vendor could put some call home software on it...where it would connect to the vendor or some tracking site....the vendor would then need to get ISP records ...and proxie logs...which arent given out to just anyone

if you are doing something illegal and the authorities REALLY want to find you...they can request the records from the ISP (where you connected from and what account you used)

as for the html stuff...isnt that tracked in .dat files

MLF
    Last edited by morganlefay; February 19th, 2007 at 08:27 PM.
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    You might want to try this www.hidemyass.com

Hi websteve and welcome to AO.

, Yes, the computer is located on planet Earth (in all probability).

#2, Everything can be traced given enough determination and co-operation on the part of those with the information. However, you have to ask yourself if that trace goes back to the real perp, or just the poor sucker whose unsecured WiFi I just leeched

Tell the salesman not to give up his day job, he could well be relying on it pretty soon

Tracking Computers

Ok, thanks guys. You all confirmed what I thought. There is no way (except maybe through law enforcement and a warrant to the ISP) that a user (or a system) can pinpoint exactly where any computer is located or who owns that particular machine. Come to think about it - it would be out right crazy if anyone could easily trace back to who you are!

- Steve

You are Steve, and I claim my $20

Johnno

Quote Originally Posted by morganlefay
    ...as for tracking exact location from an IP...uummmmmmm no...cause I could phone long distance to europe and connect to an ISP there...
    Hahaha, I just realised, I just changed my phone plan so I don't pay for long distance within the US...So I could connect to a free ISP in California if i want without paying a cent...or in Europe for that matter like morgan said.(i live on the east coast)

[edit]...speaking of which...Anyone in Europe that knows of some free ISPs out there?
    Last edited by metguru; February 20th, 2007 at 02:33 AM.

Don't let this make you feel invincible, if they are executing something on your system, things get a bit more complex.
    Did curiousity really kill the cat, or is that just what they want you to think?