Thread: Storage

Storage

Hello,
    It's been a long time since I've posted anything. I've noticed there has been a large need for off-site storage these days. I was looking at a company called 'Netmass.com'. They offer an opportunity to make recurring income from selling storage space for files and data. My question is how safe is off-site storage and has anybody heared of this company? Thanks for any info.

Freddy
    cybnut

1. There is no large need for offsite storage these days. Media is the cheapest and fastest it has ever been in the history of computing.

2. The need, if any, is having secure backup storage which would be part of your recovery or business continuity plan.

3. Offsite storage is as insecure as the shower of shysters you decide to deal with............hence, deal with a reputable backup/continuity service provider and make damn sure that you audit them! I have always dealt with offsite storage myself, because then I have control of it.

No, I haven't heard of them, neither do I want to.............. the concept is pretty much obsolete in my opinion.

EDIT: I have just had a look..........they are not selling storage as such, it seems to be an online backup and recovery service?
    Last edited by nihil; February 20th, 2007 at 12:29 AM.

Nihil,
    Thanks for the help. I found thier ad in the Febuary issue of PC World. I was looking for another source of income and wanted to see if they were a rightous group of people to work with. Well, thanks for the help.

Freddy
    cybnut

Hi Freddy, I took a quick look at their website, and they could well be OK. The site looked pretty professional, and they seem to make the right sort of noises.

What they are offering is an offsite backup and recovery service. The target would seem to be small businesses and professional firms (lawyers, accountants and the like). These outfits probably don't have a remote location and don't have the IT staff to manage a comprehensive disaster recovery/business continuity process.

This sort of service would appear to provide an affordable solution. Certainly as a concept, but you would need to check them out for their performance, professionalism and most importantly, regulatory compliance.

You would make your money from the consultancy/set up, and your cut of the service. I would expect that customers would expect you to provide support, if the backup provider does not. Naturally you would get paid for that?

Take a look around their site and ask some more questions

I'm not sure about your experience and background, but you might want to consider co locating a server of your own and just stick a couple 300 gig hdd's in there. If nothing else, it will be a learning experience

-sp0nge
    Did curiousity really kill the cat, or is that just what they want you to think?

The 'regulatory compliance' is something I didn't think of. I'll need to ask about that. Thanks.
    Setting up a server of my own for that purpose is not a bad idea. I wonder how it would work? Linux would be the way to go, but would 600 gigs be enough? Would a DSL line be good for that much traffic or would a T1 cable have to be used? Were would I find the information needed to put it all together? I don't just want to make it a learning experience at the cost of others information and money. I'd want to get it right the first time. Maybe there is something on google. Thanks. If you have anymore information, please write.

Freddy
    cybnut

Hi Freddy, I really don't think you want to be going there.

You would be taking on all the responsibilities and overheads that they are, and would have to market and support your services.

It is not just a question of buying a couple of hard drives.......... you would need at least one redundant server, alternative connectivity, your own local and remote backup, 24/7 contactability.............liability insurance and so on.

The way these guys are operating seems to be that they offer all the supporting stuff, and are looking for associates to market/distribute it for them?

Yes, you are right, but it was fun to think about it and do some reading on building a server. I even downloaded Ubuntu to start building one. Thanks for the insight.
    I know this is off the subjuct, but I noticed my posts number has not gone up and my AV is not showing anymore. It's been a long time since I've been here, I don't remember what my AV was.
    I'll give Netmass another look. Thanks again.

Freddy
    cybnut

Hi Freddy, your post count is cumulative and retrospective. It should show the total of all posts made to date and apply that to all the posts you ever made.

Actually what you see when you look at a thread is a combination of at least two tables in the relational database. The poster's detals come from one table and the actual post from another.

I am afraid all the avatars were lost when we upgraded the site management software