Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Network lagggg

Ok so this problem has not gone away. It seemed for a moment that the computers were all doing fine, but then I noticed the laggg from the fileserver again.

It seems that any machine that is a couple switches away from where the fileserver connects or even just one switch over can become laggy when trying to get into the share drive on the server.

I never experience it because I am connected on the same switch, but It really is annoying when you have to wait for it. I found some critical NIC driver updates, but I have to come in early so I can install this without cutting people off from their files.
    It's not a war on drugs it's a war against personal freedoms!

You shouldnt have any switches chained off other switches. Every switch should be home run back to your core switch. How many users do you have on the network?

AOs Resident Troll
    Net2Infinity brings up an excellent point..

How many switches do you have...and how are they connected to eachother??

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

We have a total of about 60 users on our network. We have 10 Switches total and I really need to reorganize all of them so they all feed into one switch. Some of them are chained together which I am sure isn't doing any good.

In our second wiring closet/network rack we have 5 switches, but only 3 lines running from that room to the main server room. So what I have done is chain the two phone switches together and send that over one of the lines and the other two are shared between the other 3 switches (one of the three is chained into the other) that run all of the computes, consoles, etc.

In our main server room an unmanaged switch is where the internet, majority of servers plug in and then the other 4 switches attach to that (the two phone switches in this room are also chained together).

I would guess I should have one line run for each switch in our secondary wiring closet to our server room and to put a manged switch as the main switch and run each of the switches (including the phone switches) directly into this managed switch. Basically eliminate all daisy chains.
    It's not a war on drugs it's a war against personal freedoms!

AOs Resident Troll
    Well I see a problem...

AFAIK..there is the 4 hop rule... no more then 4 hops from switch to switch..

All wiring should be punched down to a central hub area...then hooked into a switch..with a max of 4 switches

switches can be plugged into switches to over come distance or other issues...but only up to 4 hops

This is definately an issue

MLF
    Last edited by morganlefay; April 5th, 2007 at 09:22 PM.
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer