Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vista Security Tested

Hmmm,

I hope you are reading all this Billy Boy.............. you set your "finest" to deliver an operating system (late, and underfeatured, just like Win95) that is supposed to be secure?

What do we read.................. people are just looking for ways to turn the security features off?

Just buy lottery tickets my friend

people are just looking for ways to turn the security features off?
    Not me. But this relates to a comment HT raised in another thread. People do tend to remove default higher security settings. Either Windows UAC, anti-phising technology or even running as root in Linux day in day out.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

I try to strike a balance between secure and irritating. I don't need a message box asking me if I want to open control panel when I just double clicked the control panel icon!
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Strange though it may seem, that would be one element of Vista that I would have no real problem with. I have tested and run several third party applications that do much the same sort of thing............maybe I am a control freak

Seriously though, I cannot see a way round it........... the software doesn't know what you clicked on as opposed to malware or a remote hacker?

Yeah, I can see the theory behind it, just on the surface it looks dumb to be asked if you want to do something you just specifically indicated that you did.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Technically it's doesn't ask if you want to open control panel, it asks if you are the one that initiated the request.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

Blah !
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Well, do what everyone else does, and has always done in a sense, and turn UAC off. I mean, all these people can't be bothered to use a non-Admin account when they surf the web with F*C*I*G Internet Explorer, why the hell should they be bothered with simple prompts from the security subsystem verifying they did indeed do something, and not the spyware crap they just loaded for the 5th time?

Clicking that thing 3 or 4 times a day, when I use Vista 8-12 hours a day, is not that big of a deal. Sorry, I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who bitch and moan about a legitimate attempt by M$ to respond to the increasing security threats, but who can't be bothered to learn about the system or use it; the features, and their management options, are well documented in the Help & Support section of Vista.

/* EDIT */
    Sorry, that wasn't a troll/flame. This is the 10th or 11th time I've had this discussion in the last week. I'm tired of lazy users with half a clue bitching about something that is going to protect them more than most other "security applications" out there. I'm frustrated and touchy. My apologies.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Can't say I blame you. I certainly wouldn't complain having loaded software with somewhat similar functionality on earlier versions of Windows.

Microsoft aren't stupid, they will have seen these applications and are trying to build similar sorts of protection into the OS.

I also think that it is a rather neat exercise in CYA.............. they pass the responsibility on to the users, which is really where it belongs........ at least they are being given the option, without having to understand the issues and then have to search for third party solutions.

I know that there will be those who disable it............maybe they don't need it, and there will be those who just click through.............but they would do that anyway?

For the average home or small business user I think it is a good idea. OK I built a system the other day (not Vista) with no AV, no firewall and no security software at all. If it had been Vista I would have disabled it as well.

All the thing does is locally manage a couple of external security cameras

I'm frustrated and touchy. My apologies.
    Head over to Rock Bottom and try some Fire Chief Ale. 25 cents goes to charity. BEER FOR CHARITY! Love it...

I like UAC. Not to mention that UAC is proof that even an admin doesn't have carte blanche control over system access. Case point I was trying to unzip zsnes (lee7emulator) to a folder I created under c:/program files. The zip file was on the desktop and every time I tried to unzip the file I got an access error for the destination. Frustrating, yes. I looked at access controls and the local user account is locked to only executing and reading. Interesting. My account has full access, so this means programs are not granted the same access rights as the person initiating them. Also interesting.

I had to extract the files to the desktop and them copy them to the destination folder using explorer, which must default to my admin privy since it is the file system interface. In some ways this (vista) is more secure than linux.
    West of House