Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft WGA doesn't work?

Microsoft WGA doesn't work?

Just a heads up about the WGA check. I wanted something from the MS site today and went to the site. Naturally it wanted to validate my copy of Windows.

So I ran the copy of the software already on my computer and got the code from it. When I entered it I got a message that it couldn't validate my software.

On the off chance, I downloaded the tool and ran it again. It came up with a longer and somewhat different code.

So, if you don't renew it every time and have problems that could be your answer.

Last edited by nihil; March 3rd, 2007 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    ... I ran the copy of the software already on my computer and got the code from it ...
    Forgive me for appearing dumb - I've downloaded from the MS site and it needed to validate my copy of Windows. It did so automatically and then the download proceeded without any problems. What software already on your computer did you run? I don't understand what you mean :-(

The program is called GenuineCheck.exe

My security settings are such that it cannot run automatically or directly. perhaps you were downloading from a different part of the MS site?

Hmm - interesting.

I just tried an experiment with Windows Defender (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...n&mg_id=10134). It said "Validation Required", adjacent to a "Continue" button. I clicked it, it reported "Genuine Microsoft Software" and the "Continue" button changed to "Download". Would I be safer to change my security settings and get hold of GenuineCheck.exe? I thought my security was pretty good but I'll take advice from an obvious expert who happens to be a fellow Yorkshireman (assuming you weren't "transplanted" into sunny Brid)!

Hi Ignatius,

Although I have Internet Explorer and keep it fully updated, I don't use it unless I have to. So, when I visit sites for updates and stuff it is generally in FireFox.

I guess that IE has some flag set in it to let MS know that you have a valid version of Windows?.............. I say that because I always use IE to get the Microsoft or Windows updates and I seem to recall it only validated the first time.

So, I you go in using a non-IE browser (well FireFox at least) you are prompted to run the validation check manually. Presumably because of my security settings, I do not get the option to run it interactively, as it is "greyed out". I therefore have to download it and run it locally, so I have a version of the software on my box at any one time.

I do not see this as a security issue as such, it is an issue with my browser and/or security settings/software. In fact, it might be my script blocker that is doing it?

I do not see any need to change your security settings, as I do not think that it would make any difference. Personally, I mostly use IE to contact MS, and it works just as it does for you. I cannot figure out how a search for a flag to see if you have a valid version of Windows could be used as an attack vector? After all if you visited a non-MS site and it asked the question you would immediately be put on the alert.

I was born in York, incidentally

I use Firefox as my primary browser too. When downloading from m$'s site with Firefox, the automatic genuine check requires activex to be installed. Since firefox doesn't support active x, you have to use the .exe instead.

Normally, I'll just copy and paste the URL into IE and just download that file with IE. It's faster and you don't have to run .exe and copy and paste codes into fields for verification.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Thanks nihil you were born even closer to me in Leeds!

I figured it was related to my IE7. I'm thinking of following the lead of many others (here and elsewhere) of ditching IE in favour of Firefox. I realise that I'll have to keep IE for occasional use (as you do, phishphreek).

Yes, I use FireFox as my primary browser but I keep an up-to-date IE on most of my boxes, as well as Opera. My reasons are:

1. The other ones can be useful for troubleshooting browser/website problems.

2. They can sometimes be used to open troublesome files that Windows doesn't like. Although I must admit that I haven't had to do that since the days of NT 4.0

I went to secondary school in Leeds for 8 years........ St Michael's........ next door to Leeds Grammar School, who we always thrashed at fencing (I was our team captain)

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius
    I realise that I'll have to keep IE for occasional use (as you do, phishphreek).
    Find a way to remove IE and you will surprise a lot of people :P

But yeah, I'm the same. Firefox for general use, IE for visiting microsoft.

As for WGA.....drives me nuts. I ended up with an early version of it at work, one that didn't like multiuser systems.

"You are not admin, your copy of windows can not possibly be valid!"
    Confused me for a couple weeks until I realised wga made a folder and didn't set any permissions on it.

Thanks to the ironies of microsoft its easy enough to get rid of the messages.
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

Hi Aard~ get your lazy bum out there and look at the eclipse

The best one about WGA that I came across was when it pronounced your version of XP to be "pirate" if your system clock was more that 24 hours different from Redmond time

As we are talking about the future of our submarine based nuclear deterrent, how about firing all the obsolete stuff at Redmond.......... just to see if it works? I mean, we wouldn't want to pour good money after bad, would we?