Thread: Trouble accessing my laptop contents over my network

Hybrid View

Trouble accessing my laptop contents over my network

I am having trouble accessing my laptop over my network. I'm trying to get access to "\\Computer_Name\C$" and I get a login screen. The user is my computer name and I can't figure out what password it wants as I never set a password for that username. I tried my admin user password as well as any password I have ever used for anything and nothing works. Where would this password be set. I have the same problem with another computer on my network but the other 3 work fine. Any suggestions?

I am having trouble accessing my laptop over my network.
    I'm assuming you're using a wireless router?

I'm trying to get access to "\\Computer_Name\C$" and I get a login screen.
    hrmmm... what computer is sharing the root (i.e. C:\) drive? Your other boxes have no problem accessing this drive?

The user is my computer name and I can't figure out what password it wants as I never set a password for that username. I tried my admin user password as well as any password I have ever used for anything and nothing works. Where would this password be set.
    hrmmm... I'm not following... usually, if you set a folder up for sharing, your other boxes haven't a problem accessing them, unless you've setup restrictive rights... describe your setup, please...

I have the same problem with another computer on my network but the other 3 work fine. Any suggestions?
    Give us a better idea about your setup, and it's likely one of us can get you fixed up... right now, I don't know what I'm dealing with - I'm picturing a bunch of PCs wired into a router... but, then, it could be several laptops running through the same wireless router... I'm a little confused... more information please... and then maybe we'll be able to help you out...

-wiski
    Last edited by wiskic10_4; March 6th, 2007 at 09:07 AM.
    My Corner of the Intarwebz: Jeremy Dean Online

At the risk of appearing terribly stupid (I have no fear.....Doc Savage, man of bronze............and if you can remember that?)

If you haven't set a password, what happens if you just hit enter, and take the default?

More likely, you should have set a password? so try again having done that.

The network is set up with 1 desktop hardwired to the router and 1 desktop and 3 laptops over WiFi. My laptop is sharing root but the login comes up for any computer accessing it, but not for any of the shared folders. The WiFi desktop also comes up with a login screen but for any shared folder. As far as rights are concerned, I never made any changes to what rights are allowed, it is as default.

The root shows up on my laptop (the one sharing the folder) in the shared folders menu with my other shares. On the other PCs I just see the shared folders. I could just set the C:\ drive to share and that works, but the main reason I am trying to figure this out is that I typed in "\\Computer_Name\c$" and that apparently made root a share, which I don't particularly want it to be. But since it is I'd like to learn how to access it. The desktop on the other hand has this login problem for any folders it is set to share when being accessed from the network.

So I guess what I'm looking for is (1) how to figure out what password I need for the login (just where I would have set it I guess so it would jog my memory... or if there is a default since I'm pretty sure I never set one). (2) how to disable the C$.

EDIT: I did try not entering a password, so is there a default? Windows XP Media Center Edition by the way.
    Last edited by schroeder; March 6th, 2007 at 07:58 AM.

hrmmm... kinda shady... but then I'm forever the pessimist...

but the main reason I am trying to figure this out is that I typed in "\\Computer_Name\c$" and that apparently made root a share, which I don't particularly want it to be.
    That statement makes no sense... I'm assuming that all of the computers to which you are referring are running some form of Windows... RTFM, my friend... or become more specific on your posts... no, typing in the name of a network-share would not suddenly cause your harddrive to be availiable for download on the LAN...

My laptop is sharing root but the login comes up for any computer accessing it, but not for any of the shared folders
    huh?

So I guess what I'm looking for is (1) how to figure out what password I need for the login (just where I would have set it I guess so it would jog my memory... or if there is a default since I'm pretty sure I never set one). (2) how to disable the C$.
    well, it's relatively easy to share specific folders across a "home network" under Windows XP... - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040 ...

If you wish to "unshare" your maindrive... right-click it under My Computer, go to "Sharing and Security" and uncheck "Share this folder on the network" box...

Anyway, I'm not trying to be an ass... I ask my share of dumb questions... but, please... a little more information would be nice...
    My Corner of the Intarwebz: Jeremy Dean Online

So, so more specifically this is exactly what i did...

I set a folder in my shared documents folder (/videos) to be shared over the network as well as a videos folder on an external hard drive i attach to my hard drive on occasion. Everything worked fine.

Then I manually typed "\\Computer_Name\C$" in the explorer to see if my root was being shared (this is all on the same laptop I was setting up).

Now when I look in My Network Places folder, in addition to my shared folders I see a drive marked "C$ on Computer Name" in the "Local Network" section of "My Network Places".

When I click on this icon I see the contents of my C:\

When I look at the C:\ icon in "My Computer", the is no sharing hand icon and the "share this folder" check box is not checked.

When on another computer I see the folders but not the C$ drive icon.

When I manually type "\\Computer_Name\C$" on another computer on the network I get the login.

Now this same thing happens with all shared folders on the desktop PC that's having the same problem, but even with shared folders.

Now, I'm not trying to get around the password. I'm trying to understand why it's doing this and how to set the password. The laptop is getting reformatted so I can set up the password from the beginning if I know how to get to the option, but the desktop is not (which isn't a huge deal). But if I can understand what's going on and how that password was created I may be able to remember putting the password in or reset it.

I am most concerned about the desktop since it won't share anything. The laptop is a curiosity because it half-works.

I hope this is more clear. It is 4:17am here :/

\\comp_name\c$ is not a shared folder as such. when you share an entire hard drive you can give it a name just like any other shared folder.

the c$ pointer is always accessable but usually only to admins of the network. I use it a lot to poke around temporary files whenever we get a virus, or to quickly fix an ini without going to the pc. We never ever specifically set up the C drive to be shared to do this however.
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

Ok, so (a) how do I login to it (setup the password), and (b) how do i disable it?