Start-up irritation

Thread: Start-up irritation

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar

Start-up irritation

Hi there

I installed vista on one of my harddrives, found out it was so **** i removed it. Unfortuneately the dual boot screen still appears and asks what version I want to run.

I have Grayed out "display a list of OS for an amout of time" however it is still there.

I could probaly take out that particular harddrive in bios as slave to startup as.

But im just curios what file is still making this happen even though I have formatted that particular harddrive
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

When you installed the second OS, did you remove the previous partition and create a new partition or did you overwrite the previous partition? It sounds like the boot record is still intact.

It was a new HDD. Created 2 partitions and loaded Vista on the one.

Did a format and thought that was that.

If it is still there, how do I clear it
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

You mean when you turn on your computer it asks?

You can use the bootcfg command in cmd

example: bootcfg /delete /id 1

run bootcfg /query to see which Id the Vista is and the delete it using bootcfg /delete /id?

hope that helps
    StreetsCrack.com Join The Best Music Social Network Online. Music downloads, promotions, forums, profile, games etc...

Huh?

Cider old chap, you sure as hell aren't one of those rock spiders I fought against in the Boer War..............

They would have given it (Vista) to the end of the month before playing the "sweet Mauser music"................ Guess they would use 7x56 rather than 7x54?

Mine is 7.62x52 (.308Win) and was made in the Erfurt arsenal in 1908 It has a Bishop American Walnut stock and Parker Hale sights...........

Best South African rifle I have used is the Musgrave............OK, for my Aussie fan club I have also shot the Sportco........... but the Musgrave is far superior IMO

Oh! $%^&*............ I forgot, this is my computer security site

Ah! I am on my computer security site...........so I had better answer the man?

Cider, what has happened mate, is that when you loaded Vista, it saw that you had XP and assumed a dual boot............ so it has fixed that on your C:\ drive bootloading instructions

That's happened to me a few times and in fact, I've only ever fixed it by going back and restoring to a previous image or else reinstalling Vista and editing the bcd file with a handy utility found here.

This assumes you want to have Vista as a dual boot though - on the occasions when I haven't, the only option I've found was to restore from an Acronis image. Of course this was an image made in the anticipation of problems, so was bang up to date and for me, an easy option. Do let me know if you find a way of editing the boot menu without doing this!

I've had the opposite too - I installed Ubuntu as a dual boot here and found I had no option to boot into Vista again, so did a reinstall of Vista, then a restore. Total PITA! Then of course I couldn't get into Ubuntu - so abandoned the dual boot idea and just used the partition for data storage.

From experience it won't matter what you delete, that screen is stuck on your Windows C drive and editing the boot.ini file makes no difference. You could try a repair install of XP. A temporary workaround would be to set the length of time to choose to 0 seconds or 1 second, something like that, then you wouldn't notice the irritation.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

haha Nihil: I definately didnt fight in the boer war. We sure did give you guys stick though

Thanks for the replies guys. Ill check out all the reccomendations.
    Albert Einstein