BIOS update
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BIOS update

BIOS update

I seem to be having a problem with my BIOS, an ASUS P5LD2. As some of you may know, i have not been able to load any Linux CDs, and i could not just 'move on'. I was told that it may be because of the BIOS, and i don't see what else it could be. So I checked the website, emailed them numerous times, and just couldn't find a link that worked to an update for the US. I thought i may be able to download the global version, or the UK, but i didn't want to take any chances, because i bricked a router about a month ago (heheh, funny story actually), and thought if i put the wrong thing on, the same might happen. So my question is, should i be able to get the others to work? if so, which should i download, if it matters?

I assume you mean the BIOS update from http://support.asus.com/download/dow...us&model=P5LD2
    If so any of the locations should be fine (they look like mirrors).

I flashed a BIOS just the other day and came across this link to a handy DOS boot disk specificaly made for this purpose - http://www.bootdisk.com/

I always hate doing this because, as you say, you can end up with a brick at the end of it. Time to get the soldering iron out.

Good luck!
    \"Clouds are not spheres, mountains are not cones, coastlines are not circles, and bark is not smooth,
    nor does lightning travel in a straight line.\" -Benoit Mandelbrot

I think my motherboard came with an app to do it, but ill check into that.

Quote Originally Posted by omin
    I flashed a BIOS just the other day and came across this link to a handy DOS boot disk specificaly made for this purpose - http://www.bootdisk.com/

Yes. Modern mobos oftem come with a windows util to enable you to update the BIOS but I don't trust them much and try not to use them (you don't know what else in windows might cause your flash to fail half way through).

If you use the DOS bootdisk that I linked to you will still need the BIOS flash utility for DOS which is also availible at asus.com - in fact I think I saw it mentioned on the page with your BIOS d/l.

The linked to DOS disk is slimmed down as much as possible - it dosn't load anything other than what you need to run your flashing util. That's why I like it - when I flash a BIOS I want as few drivers/programs/services loaded as possible to reduce the risk of the machine crashing halfway through the flash (and getting another 'brick').
    Last edited by omin; March 7th, 2007 at 04:27 PM.
    \"Clouds are not spheres, mountains are not cones, coastlines are not circles, and bark is not smooth,
    nor does lightning travel in a straight line.\" -Benoit Mandelbrot

well, i did it in windows anyway, and its fine, but for some reason it still won't boot linux CDs. Oh well. Theres absolutely nothing else I can do! (at least that i can think of, because the bios can be the only thing i could think of thats the problem here)

I've had similar problems with the newest ThinkPads. Is there some kind of security chip on the board?
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

I do seem to recall reading that there are preventions these days to stop access to the bios and master boot record hard wired to the motherboard. Unfortunately, its just a vauge memory and possibly not even true. I've slept many times since I read it.

Its not a problem with the CD's is it? something silly like they aren't bootable or they are trying to boot into an unsuported graphics mode or something along those lines?

<aside>
    Last time I flashed a bios, it rebooted then the screen went to garbage and I was thinking "**** **** ***** ***** ***** **** I broke it!" but then it rebooted again and everything was fine. Wish it had warned be to expect the garbage, I could live without that kind of worry.
    </aside>
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

I'm not sure about any security chip...

no, the CDs are fine, i run them on my Dell desktop and they work fine

her is a link to the predicament previously:
    http://antionline.com/showthread.php?t=274706
    I had the problem, then came to the conclusion that a BIOS update would fix it; i looked for the download, 404 error, so i contacted asus, with no reply from tech support, so i asked here, then downloaded the global version of the BIOS, and it installed and everything, but still doesn't boot these CDs.

its not going to be that problem we had re jukebox pc? if these are linux CDs are they bought or burned? if they are burned, could it be as simple as the drive can't read them?
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

It seems that we are assuming a BIOS problem? perhaps it is more simple.....?

1. What are the make, model, specs, and age of the machine that won't play these CDs? In particular the CD drive.
    2. Does it actually see that there is media there?
    3. What is the boot sequence in the BIOS of the offending machine?
    4. What are the make and specifications of the CD media that won't play?
    5. Will these CDs boot on equipment of a similar age/specification? (I saw your comment about your desktop, but that doesn't answer my question)
    6. Is there a BIOS password set? If so, are you asked for it when you try to boot from CD?

Following on from Aard~'s comment
    Last edited by nihil; March 12th, 2007 at 05:09 PM.