dcsimg
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you switched to Vista?

Yeah if it works with Vista! So far I haven't found one that does, nor anyone else who knows of one.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc
    What's your view of Kapersky's FW, HT? I know their detection rating where AV is concerned, but they're not known for firewalls.
    That's an excellent question... Unfortunately, I've never used it... I've always ran a Linux firewall at the front of my network and when I was running a firewall on my desktop it was always VisNetic which I've been a big fan of...
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

I'm thinking of trying it. I've already tried their AV and it makes every other one I've tried seem like very modest protection (which they probably are). I used to think panda's online scan was pretty thorough (for an online scan it probably is).

Old Fart
    I'm still waiting for my free upgrade, as is Moira, though I'm unsure of if or when I'll upgrade.

The corporate world, as I understand it, is waiting for SP1 to be released to avoid the initial bugs.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Hi, allenb1963,

My thinking is that if you have paid for a machine with XP and have a "free" Vista upgrade, what you have actually done is bought a Vista machine that they have temporarily installed XP on, so that they could get the sale into that fiscal period

In that circumstance, providing I did not have a particular reason to keep XP, I would go with the upgrade. A word of warning: If you have connected any legacy devices please be careful............... there is a lot of legacy stuff out there that will work with XP but won't with Vista, so check that you can get Vista drivers, or that you can at least access the device via an OS that does recognise it.

I won't be upgrading any of mine.............. I have already paid perfectly good money for their current OSes and they work just fine for me. Also, looking at the upgrade costs of the hardware, I would get a far better "bang per buck" using the money to buy a couple of new systems. And I am I tight arsed bar steward, so I won't end up throwing anything away

I guess quite a lot of people are taking the view that this really isn't an "upgrade" situation in the true sense. This is a "start afresh" scenario, which Apple's marketeeers seem to have hit on

It isn't just SP1 here, there is a major hardware spend required for a lot of businesses, so they will wait until they are going to schedule that.

Just my £0.02

Ok, I've DLed Kapersky's firewall, giving it the once over, twice.

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc
    I used to think panda's online scan was pretty thorough (for an online scan it probably is).
    I tried that and found it incredibly thorough - it took ages!
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

I recently switched to Vista Business. Its not that bad except for the fact that internet explorer crashes alot.

********** |ceWriterguy
    Once the price range for Vista drops out of the stratosphere (home premium, not basic - what's the point with basic?) and gets reasonable, I'll make the move.

As for my clients, about 1 in 5 have vista now - so I'm troubleshooting more, usually driver issues, but a few lockups from system-lost passwords.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Anybody using Vista's volume license yet? Supposedly it's a different
    animal from XP's volume license. I've had my nephew check the university
    bookstore for Vista, but they don't offer it for sale yet. I fear the volume
    license for Vista will not be so easy to use. MS lost some serious jack
    on their XP volume license.

And then I'm gonna need some new hardware...
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers