Borat's human rights restricted in Kazakhstan

Thread: Borat's human rights restricted in Kazakhstan

Custom User

Borat's human rights restricted in Kazakhstan

Source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03..._human_rights/

Just interested to see what people make of this. I personally think it's ironic for the US government to publish reports on human rights abuses, but that's just my opinion. I'm also sure that human rights are restricted in Kazakhstan, but I just don't understand how taking the .kz domain away from Borat is a human rights abuse.

Fair enough if Borat was an actual person and a Kazakh national, but considering that Sasha Baron Cohen is English, is there any argument here at all (i.e. did he have any "right" to the domain name in the first place)?

ac

The article is rather badly structured. It is trying to deal with two topics I guess?

1. Freedom of speech..........a democracy issue.
    2. Human rights abuse.

I would imagine he paid for the domain name.............that gives him a right?

EDIT: He has no human rights.............I have just been to the supermarket......... $32 (US) for one of his DVDs
    Last edited by nihil; March 9th, 2007 at 05:51 PM.

Kasakstan is an old Soviet Block so there are some restrictions in place and the EU has been critical but every year it seems to get better. Hell that's where the Baikonur Cosmodrome is. Cool place. Mir was launched from there.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    EDIT: He has no human rights.............I have just been to the supermarket......... $32 (US) for one of his DVDs
    [offtopic]
    I think that is one of the reasons you'll find so many people using bittorrent? Not to mention services like netflix or the blockbuster rival? There is NO way I'm paying over $20 for a movie. Let alone $20 for two people to watch the movie in the theater.

I'll simply wait till I get it via netflix or friend and borrow it. If I don't have time to watch it by then, I'll rip it to my hard drive, burn it when I'm ready to watch it, then delete it.

With all the crap that they're putting out, it is hardly worth any of it. I find more entertaining material on youtube than I do via "on demand" or in a video store. Maybe I'm just hard to please?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Well, following that line of thought, most of the weekend newspapers over here come with a CD or DVD. Also you can get some quite good ones as part of various "loyalty schemes".

Then you just go down the local pub and swap them along with CDs Videos and paperbacks.

And again there are a variety of charity fundraising shops where you can pick them up cheap